Frezzi Light Recommendation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Frezzi Light Recommendation?

Greetings,

I've read through various posts in this GL2 forum about people having good results with a dimable Frezzi light.

I searched and searched but couldn't find any specific models and B&H has so many of them I have no idea which ones people are using with their GL2.

I also know they are expensive, so if it's ultimately out of my budget can someone else recommend a decent well priced dimmable light to mount on the camera? After searching on this forum, I don't think the VL3 or VL10 will suit my needs.

Thanks in advance.

- Stevan
Stevan Arychuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:52 PM   #2
Major Player

link

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26469&highlight=john+deluca

This link really helped me out. They have "just the right amount" of power for weddings. Plus there just nice to have over a ten watt.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks John - that link was extremely helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

I'm a little torn on what to do for powering those types of lights. I have a "jump/boost kit" for my car which is essentially a portable 12V battery with a built in charger and some jumper cables. It has a 12V output on it for power and it may be just as portable as some of those battery packs. I'm wondering if using that for power along with the Frezzi w/ cigarette adapter may be a better option than purchasing $200 of battery kits. I'm looking for something portable in the sense of getting it around to different locations, but I don't think I'll require having a battery strapped to me for movement. Also, will an AC-12V adapter work to power these lights? There were very little power specs (ie: amps) on the B&H pages for those lights.

I apologize if this thread is now off topic for the GL2 forum.

- Stevan
Stevan Arychuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:19 AM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Stevan Arychuk : Thanks John - that link was extremely helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

I'm a little torn on what to do for powering those types of lights. I have a "jump/boost kit" for my car which is essentially a portable 12V battery with a built in charger and some jumper cables. It has a 12V output on it for power and it may be just as portable as some of those battery packs. I'm wondering if using that for power along with the Frezzi w/ cigarette adapter may be a better option than purchasing $200 of battery kits. I'm looking for something portable in the sense of getting it around to different locations, but I don't think I'll require having a battery strapped to me for movement. Also, will an AC-12V adapter work to power these lights? There were very little power specs (ie: amps) on the B&H pages for those lights.

I apologize if this thread is now off topic for the GL2 forum.

- Stevan -->>>

Hey Steve,

I was in the same boat and that's why I wrote the original reply in that thread. I 1st ordered the MicroFill with NP1 and returned in when I found the battery was only good for about 10 minutes at full power.

I went to PEP BOYS (Us Auto Parts Store) and found a 12v battery pack that can be clipped on to your belt which will keep the light going for about 40 minutes. I picked up 3 of these for a grand total of 20 dollars each and I can do about any wedding reception that I want with them and not go dry.

Later I went to the heavy belt pack that is in the same thread since the company is local and for 100 bucks I was able to get about 3 hours of life around my waist.

Just something to consider, I went with the cigarette lighter adapter and now, may consider swapping out connectors to something more "secure" so that I can power my light without the occasional plug coming loose. If I do this, I also made a cigarette lighter adapter for the camera (GL2), my goal would then be a secure locking plug with a power cable to the cam and a power cable to the light, my belt pack will run both for about 2 hours if needed.

Again there are a few ways to do this... think it through and you'll find the one that will work best for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders