Going from outside to inside. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 17th, 2004, 10:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Going from outside to inside.

Is there any way to equalize the light more with my GL2 when going from inside to outside light? What I mean is, when someone walks inside or outside a house, the lighting changes drastically, and either the outside is completely white, or the inside is completely black. Is there any way to help fix this and make it more balanced? Perhaps changing the exposure settings? Or any way in post using Vegas?
Ian Hong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:39 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

This is basically a dilemma for all video camera operators. If you're shooting dramatic work that can be blocked and planned the solution is typically to shoot the subject separately as they walk into a building, then from inside the building as they enter.

If you're just chasing a subject with the camera then you'll have to rely on either managing the iris manually (recommended) or using Tv mode (with a fixed shutter speed).

There is no computer trick for adequately repairing a badly blown shot.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 02:09 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

The big boys usually solve this with the following tricks:

1. add light to the indoor set to get in the realm of the light available outside

2. cut down the light outside by tents / nets etc.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 02:21 AM   #4
Wrangler

Riding the iris is the most common way to deal with this issue. The trick is to "bury" the iris ramp, usually by turning a corner somewhere so that you can soften the transition and not see the outside burn up as you open up. A really sophisticated way is to light the first room or part of the interior quite hot and gradually allow the light level to diminish as you continue into the room along with the iris ramp. I've never done this myself but I've heard of it.

Along with the iris, the white balance is also an issue, unless the interior is lit with daylight fixtures. Modern camcorders deal with this issue pretty neatly with the auto white balance feature. But when you see this sort of thing shot on film, there is no such luxury; all of the light fixtures have to be balanced fully or partially towards daylight to appear "correct" on film.
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have encountered a similar problem Ian and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it. I will be shooting a scene this weekend with my gl2 where an actress opens the front door from inside her living room. She will be speaking with another actress standing on the house's front porch. It's very dark inside the living room and it's opposite outside, very bright. So in rehearsals when I shoot from behind the actress inside looking outside, the background behind the actress outside is really blown open white hot and the actress outside is "dark".

I'll use the advice in this thread to help me out by adding light inside to bring the level up and try the tv mode setting too......(fingers crossed) :)
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Dennis, also consider exposing correctly for the exterior light. This will effectively create nice silhouettes if lit properly - that is if it suites the scene. I did this in a short I shot last year. I think either route you go the result will come out fine, so long as you approach the situation with tact! (which you appear to be doing)
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'll give that a try Devin! I'm breaking out my modest lights, setting them up and conquering this "problem" later today. I'll definitely check out your short when I get home after work. (My computer at work doesn't play video) BTW, did you use frame or normal mode? I'm trying to decide which to use....

This will be my first short and all the advice here has helped me greatly.
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I shot that short on a DVX-100p, but do own a GL1. It's all up to you I suppose, frame mode has a specific "look" to it that many enjoy. It does reduce vertical resolution, but this won't affect the untrained eye. Deinterlacing in post is also an option, but that yields extensive render times. For your first short I'd go full steam frame mode. Later when resolution counts you can research other methods/frame rates. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders