Something wrong with my GL2!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Something wrong with my GL2!!

Hey guys,
As you might have heard, I just bought my Canon GL2 about 4 days ago, and I wa sout shooting today when I noticed a white spec that wouldnt go away. At first my friend thought it was a star, but then it went everywhere hte camera went and just stayed in one spot. I just spent over 3000 dollars and I am quite upset at what happened. HEre are some screen shots of it, I am afraid it's a hot pixel, or a broken pixel. I just got this camera 4 days ago, will Canon be able to replace it for me? Thanks.

http://a.1asphost.com/MoonlightProdu.../natisugly.jpg

http://a.1asphost.com/MoonlightProdu...the%20Lake.jpg

I have more pics if you guys would like to see, but the white spec just stays in one spot. Did i just throw away 3000 dollars on a faulty camera???

Glen
Glen Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 04:22 AM   #2
Old Boot

Re: Something wrong with my GL2!!

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Chua : Hey guys,

. . I just got this camera 4 days ago, will Canon be able to replace it for me? "

I have more pics if you guys would like to see, but the white spec just stays in one spot. Did i just throw away 3000 dollars on a faulty camera???

Glen -->>>

1 - If Canon can ascertain this it IS a faulty cammie in the UK they would be under an obligation to replace. It would be classed as "Goods not fit for the purpose they were intended" - PERIOD!

2 - If you "purchased" this cammie "new" from an Authorised Canon dealership then I would definatley say IMHO you are covered - PERIOD! In the UK I would be hot-footing it back to the shop, show them the evidence, and request that they honour our "Sale of Goods Act" - PERIOD!

I would be going for No.2 over No.1. My "contract" was with the dealership NOT with Canon. It would be be for the shop to argue with Canon to get a replacement for themselves OR whatever. Hey, you don't take back your latest Ford back to Ford? You take it back to the car showroom you bought it from - yeah? ;-)

Glen, question for you is why would you think you may not be eliogble for a straight swap, is what I want to know from you?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 04:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well,

I guess I am just afriad. Having spent over 3000 and then finding out 4 days later that there is something wrong... just breaks my heart... hehe.

Anyways though, I bought my camera from Broadway Camera in Vancouver. They are supposedly a Canon Authorized dealer, so I'll take it back to them on Monday. If they can't give me another one, it's been les thn 14 days, so I can still return it for store credit, and then buy another one. What causes these cameras to be faulty? Is it just my bad luck?
Old August 22nd, 2004, 04:54 AM   #4
Old Boot

"What causes them to be . . " I wouldn't know! And quite frankly I wouldn't really care if I was within the "cover" period! That's for them to sought out with Canon - not you. As I say, if I thought that a piece of equipment to be faulty and not from me dropping it or mistreating it in any way then I would within the shop-bought replace period - with my dealer it was 14 days -take it immeadiatley back to the shop - as they told me "No questions asked"! Outside of that we have, in the UK, a 1 year warranty on most electrical goods anyway.

I have no idea what your consumer protection is in Vancouver so I can't comment on the extent of your success with the shop iin question. Perhaps a fellow member here can give you some guidance.

Best of luck,

Grazie
Old August 22nd, 2004, 05:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Bernard : "<i>What causes them to be . . </i>" I wouldn't know! And quite frankly I wouldn't really care if I was within the "cover" period! That's for them to sought out with Canon - not you. As I say, if I thought that a piece of equipment to be faulty and not from me dropping it or mistreating it in any way then I would within the shop-bought replace period - with my dealer it was 14 days -take it immeadiatley back to the shop - as they told me "No questions asked"! Outside of that we have, in the UK, a 1 year warranty on most electrical goods anyway.

I have no idea what your consumer protection is in Vancouver so I can't comment on the extent of your success with the shop iin question. Perhaps a fellow member here can give you some guidance.

Best of luck,

Grazie -->>>

Thanks for your time anyways man!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Glen, how did it go?

Did your dealer replace the GL2?
Jim Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes! The dealer gladly replaced it, although he didnt; exchange my accesorries, he just gave me a new camcorder. But I tested this one, and it seems good! The store I bought it at has this policy of exchange or store credit if you are disatisfied with your product within the first 14 days... If they weren't going to give me another camera, I was going to takeh te store credit and go to the other branch and buy another one. But everything worked out in the end!

Glen
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:51 AM   #8
Old Boot

"Alls Welll that . . . "

Good! Now, in the future don't be "scared" - you put the money down .. you've worked hard for it! I'm real glad you got an exchange. the accessories I understand - they weren't faulty - yeah?

Now, check through everything on the cammie to be A1 sure of its condition - yeah?

Look, for a shop to do an exchange can be beneficial to them. Yes I know this MAY sound weird . . but read on . . You are "seen" as an opportunity, for you to go off and say things like - " Yeah I dealt with this amazing shop! I found out a problem and they took the goods straight back without an argument! And exchange it for another!" - Point being here, that in the UK, the shop "has-to", notwithstanding the comments already made here. It might not have to make an exchange - mine will - but it has to supply you with goods fit for the purpose that they were intended. This could mean a repair - I would then always demand, politely, that that wasn't suitable, OR cash refund - not this either if the goods cannot be found for the same price or it is inconvenient OR , best, is to have the shop do the complete exchange - obviously the best for my way of thinking.

I'm really glad for you .. NOW GO and have fun!

Grazie
Old August 29th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #9
Tourist

Re: Something wrong with my GL2!!

But what is that white light? I think it is most probably a pixel failure on the LCD screen. It will not show up on tape. This is my guess. What do you all think?

Canon actually says that upto 4 malfunctioning pixels are ok and they will not replace them. I got my GL2 from J and R in NYC, in person, and the shop assistant who helped me, checked the camera for any burnt out pixels in the store before I bought it. Shopping at J and R was a very good ex. Strongly recommended store!
Jayant Kulkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 07:50 PM   #10
Regular Crew

When I buy a large $$dollar$$ item I use the good ole credit card! Then if I have a problem and the store will not work with you the card Co. is the next in line. Has worked for me and Oh they also give a X-tra year on the warranty, if you used the right card. So my GL2 has a Mac warranty and the card Co. Tacks one more year on at the end.

Steve
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 08:09 PM   #11
Regular Crew

yea, I used a credit card, also jayant, the dead pixel did not just show up on the LCD but showed up on the tape too.
Glen Chua is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders