Firewire problems need help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:16 AM   #1
New Boot

Firewire problems need help

Just wondering if anyone else has blown the firewire port on the DV. I do believe it is a computer prob as we have already blown 4 fire wire outputs. Luckily they were within warranty. I have read all the past threads and have taken precautions. I believe it is computer based. Now what shoukld I be looking for in the computer to reslove the problem. We are using a PC with an on board firewire configuration. The case has a firewire inpit as well. Now is it
1. The videocard
2. Integrated firwire on the Motherboard
3 Power supply( surges?)
4. Integrated fire wire connection on the case.

Would appreciate any help Ican get before I bring the PC in for repair and give the teks some heads up

Thanks in advance

Dan
Dan Naygeboren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:49 AM   #2
Major Player

What do you mean by "the firewire port on the DV"?...The PC port, the connected device port? Are you using 6 or 4 pin ports/connectors. Do you blow the port everytime you connect?
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:56 AM   #3
New Boot

4 pin connector

I have stopped using this computer to download but it is the main one I use.

It ( the computer) seems to short out the Firewire on the Cameras. All Canons One GV and 3 others I use to transfer. So I believe it is a computer related origin just don't know where to begin looking to repair

Thanks
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Are you shure the computer has the "small" 4 pin connectors too? Normally PC cards (except for portable PC's) have 6 pin connectors. The two extra pins carry supply voltages (5V) which can blow ports if not connected correctly. There have been firewireport blow out problems in the past with some 6pin (PCside) > 4 pin (output device) interconnection cables which shorted the 5V to the in/out wires. Did you try another cable if you have a 6/4 interconnection. It's allmost impossible to blow up the ports in a 4/4 interconnection.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:45 AM   #5
New Boot

I checked and you are right it is 4/6 pin.

The case has a front connector and that is where the connections were made. I am thinking it may be a short in the cable. I will buy a new one Asap. However if anyone has had similar situations would appreciate any input

thanks
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Read 4.2.2.2 here: http://www.wiebetech.com/pressreleases/FireWirePortFailures.htm
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:17 PM   #7
New Boot

Thank you

was very helpful and will get a new firewire to see if the prob is solved
Old August 30th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #8
New Boot

One thing you may want to check is for proper grounding on your computer. If you have an open ground or poor ground, this will cause high noise levels and dangerously high (for static sensitive devices) voltage levels to exist on the computers ground. This kind of problem is primarily caused by harmonic distortion produced by your computer's power supply. Just FYI. . the ground fault indicators on spike protectors will only indicate the loss of a ground, not necessarily a high resistance ground.

If you don't feel safe playing with your incoming AC, call an electrician.
Ken Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 04:21 AM   #9
Major Player

Good point Ken. Although most hot plugable connectors including firewire connections, have a (guarding) signal ground which connects allways first, it's safe to put an extra grounding on the often "floating" or losely grounded (capacitor and resistance in parallel ) computer frame(signal ground) and/ other devices. This extra grounding precaution is not advisable if the computer is part of a network where other equipment is being grounded in another location. Also, if the player (camcorder) is battery fed, it's not neccesary to apply extra grounding. F.y.i my enviroment has the extra grounding.
Old September 6th, 2004, 05:13 AM   #10
Major Player

"The case has a front connector and that is where the connections were made."

To me that's where the problem is. The cable between the motherboard and the case connector could be connected the wrong way. Have you checked it?

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 05:25 AM   #11
New Boot

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. Both cameras are in for repair and i will install a seperate card to connect to.

Will advise results when available
Dan Naygeboren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders