GL-2 Sample Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 8th, 2002, 08:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GL-2 Sample Footage

If anyone here is willing to send me a few minutes of sample footage from a GL-2 I will send you one of my travel videos in return.

I am mostly concerned with outdoor shots, particularly in bright light. I don't need something shot by a "pro." As long as the shots are steady with a few shot on a tripod so I can critically examing the footage I will be more than happy.

If you are interested, e-mail me at gregmatty@rk-productions.net

Thanks.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 12:14 PM   #2
Trustee

Greg

Do you have a canon dealer somewhere near you...perhaps they'll let you pop in a tape, and take the gl2 outside for a few minutes, so you can see for yourself. So far, my experience is that the gl2 performs beautifully outdoors. Great natural color, lower contrast, and much more delicate detail. It really blows away the xl1s and gl1 in terms of image quality. I took my gl1 (which I've always loved) out for some testing yesterday, Ugh...after a few weeks with the gl2..I'm already jaded. The Frame mode is the best of any canon, hand's down, sharper than the xl1s and smoother than the gl1. And as stated in my review, if you prefer a softer look like the xl1s, the sharpness can be dialed out. For the money, I don't think there is a better camera on the market right now.

One of the things that still shots don't show is true camera resolution, so you're right to want to see a clip. If you ever look at a still 35mm movie frame you'll be surprised at how grainy it is, yet when you watch the movie, unless the filmmaker wants you to, you'll never see the grain, and the footage looks incredibly sharp, because detail is rendered through successive moving frames. DV is the same way, still shots show the limitations of the 720x480 resolution, plus the 5 to 1 compression. In motion, the GL2 appears much sharper than what you see in a still frame. (actually this is true of all cameras, but I think it is more important with the higher res chips like the gl2,pd150, vx2000 etc.)

I'm a bit overloaded right now, but I'll try to get some more still shots up on my web site, with more practical subject matter.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 04:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

footage

I shot footage 2 weeks ago in the High Sierra out of Mammoth lakes, so I'll try and do a comparison with footage from the GL1 I just sold ( also shot outdoors in the High Sierra 5 weeks ago ) and let you know what I think. So far though, I like the whole feel and ergonomics of the GL2 better that the GL1.
Craig Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 04:41 AM   #4
Trustee

Greg

I put up a few seconds of full sized gl2 footage at my website. You'll need to download the file to view it at its normal size (control-click on the mac). Scenes were photographed hand held under ambient lighting. Take a look.

The file about 5 megs. No sound.

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/iMovieTheater7.html

Barry
Old August 9th, 2002, 08:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Barry,

Will do.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 01:58 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Barry,
That tiny clip looks gorgeous. Canon should hire you to make demo clips for the GL-2 <g>. Just nosey...what were you setting-up to shoot?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 02:32 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks for that Barry - it was nice. Just rang Canon yesterday, said the Xm2 won't be in New Zealand until probably end of hte year.....Sometimes I hate living in a country at the bottom of the world ;)
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 02:36 PM   #8
Trustee

Don't I wish they would, ken... (although don't let the pretty girl fool you, I was just killing time waiting for the makeup artist to do her thing).

We were getting ready for a fashion shoot for a new clothing store here. The store is being built right now, so we decided to do a shoot at the construction site. The shots will be used on the construction barrier as a "teaser" (the store doesn't even have a name yet). If you go back to my site, you'll see a page called "elizabeth in construction", and it has a preliminary collage that I put together for the client (click on the little sliver of a photo in the left hand corner).

Elizabeth is a seventh grade english teacher who lives down the street from me--I don't remember many teachers like her in my day.

Barry
Old August 23rd, 2002, 08:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

No kidding. If I would have had a teacher like her, I may have never made it to the 8th grade.
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders