Added on Accesories for GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 25th, 2004, 02:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Added on Accesories for GL2

Hey guys,
I was wondering how much a difference does the external mic for the GL2 make? Is there a really clear sound difference, and does it pick up vibrations from the camera? I'm also wondering, if I film in wide screen, and then edit the footage in Adobe Preimere, if I export it to a DVD would it play wide screen with the bars on normal TV's or would the image be squeezed? Anyways, thanks for your time!

Glen
Glen Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Glen,
The type of mic you use probably depends on the application. If you're using your GL2 for vacation, use the built in mic. It's omni directional and does okay but picks up sounds you wouldn't expect or want. For more serious applications, use a quality shotgun mic. I've never noticed ours picking up any camera noise but then again, I've never taped in a coffin.

If you use the 16:9 setting, it's not letterbox but squeezed. I tried 16:9 a long time ago and I captured the images into Premiere with the 16:9 presets. It should play a DVD wide screen with no bars. Others might have better information but why don't you just experiment?
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #3
Major Player

I originally bought a Sennheiser MKE300 (the D model did not exist then), but had to have it modified by Sennheiser to the D version due to induced noise. Mounted on the hot-shoe it still picks up too much mechanical noise, so I use it in a Beyer EA96 anti-shock mount. The sound is a great improvement on the internal microphone for my sole use of the camera - wildlife photography.

An even greater improvemnt is achieved by moving up to a Sennheiser K6/ME67 combination mounted off-camera using a modified flash bracket attached to the tripod.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:46 AM   #4
Major Player

That's close to what I use, a Senn ME66/K6 mounted in a Beyer EA86 and then secured to a Y-bracket from Cool-Lux.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders