GL2 sound on manual: Help please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 9th, 2002, 12:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 sound on manual: Help please!

I would appreciate any help any of you can give me. I am beginning a documentary oral history project in which available light image and manual sound with external microphones are both important. I'm planning to use Sony ECM 44b lavalier mics on separate channels through a Studio 1 BP Pro box into the camera. Before hearing about the GL2, I was planning to use the Sony VX2000 because of its low light capabilities and audio I have heard was better than the TRV900, which also has manual settings. The GL2 does not seem to do quite as well in available light, from what I've read here, but so far no one has commented on the audio, and esp. the audio on manual level control (so the ambient room noise doesn't cycle on and off during pauses in dialogue). I know the Sony can be a pain, particularly if you have to crank the manual gain above 50%. But what about the GL2? I need to make my purchase soon, and would really appreciate any guidance I can get.

Thanks,
Linc Kesler
Linc Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 01:44 AM   #2
normbaits

My experience with my GL2's manual audio control has been a great one. This is the one feature that my previous camera lacked and was one of the main descisions in ordering this camera. Using a Beachtek box with phantom power with my hypercardioid mic has been great, a nice hot signal that I am constantly able to keep in the 25% range for audio gain. If audio is very important to you, especially controlling the two tracks independantly from one another, the GL2 is the winner. The VX2000 from what I am told sounds fine when kept at under 50%, but anything over it, forget about it. Another thing to keep in mind about the Vx2000's audio controls is that you can not control the levels for each channel seperately. If one person is louder than the other, too bad, the channels are going to be both set to the same amount of gain. And the problem of ambient room cycles that you talk about are as a result of the auto gain found on more consumer camcorders. Using the manual audio controls and micing close to the subject will prevent this problem from occuring.
Old August 17th, 2002, 10:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

On cam mixing

One other advantage to the GL-2, you can mix your external mic audio without needing to add a Beachtech box or other on-cam mixer. If you use 1/8" (or adapt fromXLR) external mic outputs into your cam you can just buy a $3 (Radio shack) mono Left/ mono Right to stereo mini plug splitter that will allow you to input two mics directly into your cam.

Just plug the splitter into your cam's existing external mic jack then plug your Right and Left mics (mine are shotgun and wireless into the L&R channels) into the back of the splitter. You can even buy a angled 90* splitter so it won't stick out from your cam's body.

You can then adjust the volume of each channel to your heart's content. In my case I adjust the volume for the best quality on each channel and then chose between the shotgun and wireless audio for the best content when I edit.

Even if you don't edit and make audio changes in post, having the ability to control two mics with the push of your thumb, (either a Left and Right or shotgun and wireless) is a nice feature.

Regards, John V.
John VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 12:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I needed to add a bit.

""">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>One other advantage to the GL-2, you can mix your external mic audio without needing to add a Beachtech box or other on-cam mixer. If you use 1/8" (or adapt fromXLR) external mic outputs into your cam you can just buy a $3 (Radio shack) mono Left/ mono Right to stereo mini plug splitter that will allow you to input two mics directly into your cam.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<""""

If you do go looking for the female 1/8" mono-L/mono-R to male 1/8" stereo adapter, be sure to NOT get the more available female 1/8"stereo/stereo to male 1/8" stereo. They look exactly the same from the outside but the stereo only splitter is commonly only used to add 2 sets of stereo head phones to audio output devices like a walkman.

Regards, John.
Old August 20th, 2002, 12:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

mini plug splitter

John, is the angled 90* splitter you speak of above a second attachment (attached to the splitter) or does the mono left/mono right to stereo mini plug splitter come in a 90* configuration?

I hope I'm making sense. I ask because I couldn't find it on radioshack.com.

Thanks for any help!
- Rob
Rob Unck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2002, 04:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

splitter

Rob, I'm resonably certain (I'll check tonight) it is just a single piece that plugs into the external mic jack and when pointed down follows the lines of the camera nicely. I'm sure that I've tossed the bag and lable but I'll check to see if I have any other paper work with a part #. Can we post photos on this site? I had to go to my local Radio Shack and dig thru the adapters to find it.

If need be I could swing by RS and get a part # or you could call their 800 # for a stock check.

If you are handy you could always build one using a male stereo mini plug and 2 male mono mini plugs.

I use a Mini-Rover bracker/handle to mount the shotgun and the reciever for the wireless mic, the splitter feeds both very well.

I do have a Studio mini-mixer but don't need to use it much on the GL-2 although I still have to use it on the Panasonic.

Good luck, John.

"John, is the angled 90* splitter you speak of above a second attachment (attached to the splitter) or does the mono left/mono right to stereo mini plug splitter come in a 90* configuration?"
Old August 20th, 2002, 07:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

2 pieces

Rob, it is 2 pieces, sorry, my brain disk must be full. Piece 1 is the splitter as posted and piece 2 is the 90* adapter. The 2 pieces do hug the camera body nicely so I'd even forgotten it was in 2 parts.

Regards, John.
Old August 20th, 2002, 10:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for your help, John!
Rob Unck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders