Gl2 Dead Pixel Again! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 21st, 2004, 01:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Gl2 Dead Pixel Again!

Okay, so I got my first GL2 in midle of August, and there was a dead pixel on my LCD which transfered to my TV, so there was a whtie dot in every single shot. Fine, I go and got it replaced with this GL2. Now, about a month later, I find out that there is a HUGE dead pixel on teh upper left hand corner of the screen. It just stays blue, and there is another one on the lower right corner of the screen, that one just stays black. I checked it out on the TV, but none of them transfer threw so its just on the LCD screen. What should I do??? And why does the GL2 have this dead pixel problem so often!

Glen
Glen Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #2
New Boot

This is a very well known problem with the GL1. I have one now that is junk because of this. I've talked to people who had dead pixels on GL1's that were beyond warranty, spent the money to have the CCD replaced, then within months had dead pixels on the new CCD. So what am I suppost to do? Canon doesn't stand behind it's product in regard to this well known problem. There's been talk of a class action suit. I will never buy another Canon product of any sort as a matter of principle. My experience has been that bad.
Tilford Bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 05:45 AM   #3
Warden

It is important to distinguish between dead pixels on the LCD screen and dead pixels on the CCD imaging chip. Dead pixels on the LCD screen are a minor annoyance. They occur on LCD screens fairly often and manufactures will replace the screen if warranted by excessive pixel failure. Most manufactures have a factor for determining the number of allowable dead pixels on the LCD. Consult with Canon on this Glen and see what can be done.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 10:16 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi,

The problem that I've seen so much of is dead pixiels on the CCD. If your warrenty is expired Canon will do nothing for you even though this is a widespread problem, and repeatedly people have replaced the CCD paying I think almost $600, then having dead pixils again after just months.
Tilford Bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:10 AM   #5
Warden

I think the issue of dead pixels on CCD's is not unique to Canon. I've seen dead pixels on Canon, Panasonic, Sony, JVC and Sharp cameras that my students have complained about. While the number of cameras I've observed or been reported here at DV Info, is hardly large enough for any kind of analysis, the issue is not as wide spread as you would have us to believe. This is possibly the largest Canon GL series forum on the internet. Do a search of dead pixel and I doubt you'll find more than a dozen members complaining about the issue.

When products go out of warranty, the manufacture is under no obligation to extend the warranty period. However, out of good customer service most manufactures will repair cameras recently out of warranty for no charge if a persistent problem can be documented. Repairs are usually warranted as well and the term can be anywhere from 30 days to 6 months, depending on the camera and the repair agency. Cameras that have an abnormal frequency of repairs should be brought to a member of the service departments management team. They are in a better position to resolve customer complaints than anyone on the internet.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My dead pixels are on the LCD, I guess I can live with it. Would a deadpixel on the LC slowly effect deadpixels on the CCDs?
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:13 PM   #7
Warden

All manufactures have an allowable maximum number of dead pixels on the LCD. Dead pixels on an LCD are unavoidable with current manufacturing technology and the need for low cost screens. The number generally used is 1/100 of 1% of the total pixels on the LCD. For most screens it works out to be around 20 dead pixels. Do not confuse this with the CCD imaging chip. One dead pixel will qualify for warranty service.

Old October 1st, 2004, 03:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Do you mean one dead pixel on the LCD will qualify for warrenty service or 1 dead pixel in the CCD?
Old October 1st, 2004, 04:04 PM   #9
Warden

The LCD viewing screen needs about 20 dead pixels to be replaced. The CCD imaging chip needs only one dead pixel to qualify for warranty service.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM   #10
RED Code Chef

" Would a deadpixel on the LC slowly effect deadpixels on the CCDs? "

Dead pixels on the LCD screen cannot affect your footage or
cause damage/dead pixels on your CCD chips.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders