GL-2 Questions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 23rd, 2002, 09:34 PM   #31
Major Player

heidi, thanks for the heads up, i've heard of the place, but i havent been in there yet.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2002, 07:16 PM   #32
Regular Crew

The verdict is...

Hi everyone,

OK, so after getting side-tracked by other things (life), I've decided to actually KEEP my current GL2. Here's my plan... Turns out, one of you nice people on this discussion thread lives near me and we are going to compare our cameras in the next week or two (after his vacation).

Plus, in a few months, I'm going to go to another store and test my GL2 against another GL2 (from a different "batch").

After both tests, if my GL2 is still different color-wise, it'll still be under warranty and I'll contact Canon.

The reason I decided on this is the following:

1. Ultimately, I generally like the GL2 better then VX2000 AND, because you all have been so INCREDIBLY helpful in helping me understand it and how it works, I almost feel "commited" to it. Not talked into it, but really "into" the GL2.

Plus, before this I did own a A1 Digital (Hi 8) and always loved it. And I own a Canon SLR and like it too. So I guess I'm a Canon-ite at heart.

2. For the past three weeks (or more?), I've been playing with this camera practically non-stop, shooting in a ton of different lighting and otherwise siutations, and tweaking it as I go.

Even if it is messed up a bit colorwise, I now know how to compensate a little better.

And, will be making sure it's OK by doing comparisons in the coming months.

On top of this... 3. Finally, I am really getting to KNOW THIS camera. There's no gaurantees that if I return this one and buy another one, it won't have some other oddity that it may take me a some time to find (ala John VVV), and make me crazy (crazier) in the process.

So, please don't think I'm a wimp. I probably should return the camera -- especially because of the jerk who sold it to me, and the fact that I can save a couple hundred bucks.

But, rest assured, from now on I will use this site's sponsors for other purchases.

Thank you all again for all your invaluable help. You've been patient and thoughtful -- and that makes a huge difference!

I'll continue to watch this site and throw in my two cents where appropriate (or, more likely, ask a few more questions).

Very, very best,

-Heidi

PS. Linc, now that I've decided on the GL2, I'm going to try your latest comments, and will be in touch online...
Heidi Willoughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2002, 09:38 PM   #33
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Heidi,
Well, certainly it's your camera and we must all respect your decision to rely on warranty service for future remedy, rather than a simple, quick return. But, at least to me, you're reasoning is bewildering.

Good luck!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2002, 09:48 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Ken,

Why?

-Heidi
Old August 25th, 2002, 10:14 PM   #35
Major Player

Heidi, your education is about to expand. The hassles and long waits in getting a Canon camcorder repaired, can be astounding. I had one good experience with a Canon repair center and one other, where I had to send it in to authorized repair shops four times, over a 5-month period, before anyone even bothered to attempt to fix a glaringly obvious malfunction. I hope your luck runs towards my first outcome. I hope you buy an extended warranty. I would have been lost without mine when I had that bad series of failed repair attempts.
Old August 25th, 2002, 10:33 PM   #36

(Forgive my frankness. It's just the way I am. Absolutely no rudeness intended and I hope none is taken.)

Why?

Because you're piddling around "testing" a brand new camera that is either (a) defective or (b) non-defective but unpleasing to your eyes instead of shooting what you want to shoot with a camera that you enjoy using. Folks here have been -extraordinarily- helpful to you (as evidenced by the length of your threads). But I suspect that this has only made you more indecisive and unsure of yourself than you were when you embarked on your inquiries.

Heidi, you've nothing to lose, and everything to gain, in exchanging the camera for a new one -now-. At least if the second unit shows the same phenomenon you will know that you must either adapt to the camera's characteristics or return it for another brand and model. But continuing to examine your original unit is irrational and illogical. And why bother waiting two weeks to compare your GL-2 to someone elses?! In two weeks you could have a replacement and validate its qualities for yourself.

Relying on warranty service for remedy if you eventually decide that the camera is defective (in, what, a year?) is also muddy and overly-optimistic reasoning. AFTER ALL, You may not be able to conveniently do without the camera for 2-4 wks. while Canon effects repairs.

So, by deciding not to simply exchange the camera for another unit you're both severely limiting the amount of hard information you have concerning its true design characteristics and potentially causing yourself more inconvenience later when you send the camera for "repair" under warranty service.

Remember a long, long time ago when I said that -your- eyes are the judge? My camera's color seemed very neutral compared to my other cameras. Other people are reporting the same. So either your camera is defective or your eyes' photoreceptors are defective. The camera is the easier to fix.

That's why.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old August 26th, 2002, 01:17 AM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

For Steve McDonald, your frustration with Canon factory service is noted, but be advised that Sony's track record in this regard is just as poor, if not worse. It's something I hear about consistently from Sony owners.

Heidi, I must agree with Ken, now is the perfect time to echange your GL2 for another to determine if it's not operating properly.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 04:55 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Hi,

I *know* my email sounded strange, and I might have responded the same way as you...

The thing is, I am wondering if there IS a problem with my camera.

Two other people have been looking at the pictures with me (an editor and graphic designer). And I did ultmately tweak my monitor (which was adjusted to be a bit cool). While I do think the GL2 picture is cool, they think it's OK after white balancing (but not out of the box...). Maybe this means "neutral."

My eyes are really good, but do also trust their opinion. When my editor friend (for network TV) says that she'd buy the Canon over the Sony if she were doing it again (she has the VX2000), it makes me think that either I'm being TOO picky or I'm just wrong.

If I'm this picky (which may be the case), then I'm worried about going from "out of the frying pan into the fire" with another GL2.

I will buy the extended warranty.

-Heidi
Old August 26th, 2002, 09:43 AM   #39

Heidi,

I can't help noting that you've further illustrated my point. "Two other people have...", "My editor friend..."

Your satisfaction is not a matter of committee concensus, girl. It's YOUR camera not theirs!

Old August 26th, 2002, 12:58 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Canon repair

Steve, sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Canons repair service. I have had nothing but good and fast service. They even replaced a ccd on an Elura for the cleaning / inspection fee that was out of warranty due to dead pixels!
Craig Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 01:01 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Ken,

But what's the chance that if I return this camera (and get another GL2) I won't have other/different problems? This is my fear...

Has anyone else ever gotten a "lemon?" I never have, but just checking ... Maybe it's common.

-Heidi
Old August 26th, 2002, 01:12 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Heidi my XM2(GL2) looks cool against the VX2000 as well. I don't think it a defect it's just the way the camera is. I've also been doing loads of test and when comparing the colour to what my eyes see I can honestly say that the XM2 is pretty close, not spot on but very close. The only area I'd say it struggles with is with orange and yellow it doesn't quite get them right. But if you set it up against the VX2000 and literarily switch between the two the XM2 does look a lot cooler. As for the gain problems you've had I haven't had these problems so maybe your unit is broken.
Well I hope you settle the problems.

peter B
Peter Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 01:21 PM   #43
Warden

Heidi,

If your camera has a mfg. defect why wouldn't you want it fixed? If I bought a new car and it only got 2 miles per gallon, I would want it fixed. Just because your camera needs a minor adjustment doesn't make it a lemon. Cameras that go in for the same adjustment 5 or 6 times are lemons. Send the camera into Canon and have them adjust it. That way you don't have to risk getting another GL2, but with different problems. Just get the one you know and love adjusted. I also urge you to do it soon. Learning to trick your camera to get something close to what you want is not an ideal learning situation. It's like learning to drive a car and it's got right hand drive. Then having to take your driving test in a car with left hand drive. Everything is backwards, the things you thought you knew are different.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 01:44 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Jeff,

That's a very good idea.

Should I just send/bring it in and say I want them to check the "color" adjustments?

-Heidi
Old August 26th, 2002, 01:55 PM   #45
Warden

Yup, just send it in. They will want a photo copy of your sales receipt and warranty card. That proves it is not a grey market camera. I would also include a sample tape stopped at a section that best illustrates your color problem. You might also includea brief note about the problem and your expectations for the repair. Canon has a New Jersey repair facility and I would send it directly to them, attention the service manager.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders