Does cold weather effect color capture on GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 13th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does cold weather effect color capture on GL2

I filmed my son's football game last weekend. It was a night game that started late to begin with, but in Michigan the nights are getting cold. I filmed in auto mode just because I don't film them to be perfect. When watching the video I noticed the color changed at some points in the video, then went back to normal. Can the cold have this effect? I did have to run with the camera just before I noticed the first change. Are these camera's that sensitive? I ran as smoothly as I could, not like some ox stomping my feet LOL. Any idea's to help me out would be great.
Jason Gatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

No, I don't think that the cool temperature was responsible. I've shot with my GL2 in extremely cold temperatures and it had no effect on the image whatsoever.

My bet is that your white balance may have shifted under the field lights. Be sure to manually set your wb, or use a preset. Don't use auto-white balance if you want to avoid color shifting. Also be sure you use either manual exposure or Av (aperture priority) mode for exposure control particularly under artificial lighting which may actually pulse and fool your exposure and image.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #3
Major Player

My XM2 went crazy at the top of Empire State, when it was cold and starting to rain.

Screwed up the picture, went fuzzy like when your tuning a TV.

Anyway, it survived. :)
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #4
Tourist

Night football games and the lights will play tricks on your camera as Ken writes. I too film my sons Football games and since he plays on a JV team they often start the game under natural light and finish under the fields lights. Until I learned how to do manual settings I had the same color shift problem that would come and go. Grass would look blue, etc. Another problem I have run into is Auto focus getting messed up when I have to make a quick camera movement like following a pass downfield. I use manual focus as much as possible but sometimes that is difficult as well because the play moves such a great distance it moves out of range of the my manual focus. I have learned to have tremendous respect for the Pros that can follow a Golf ball, Football or baseball and keep it in focus. I do learn a little more each game. This forum is awesome for learning the tricks and techniques. Your son will love you for your efforts years from now!
Kevin Nichols is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders