GL2 / XM2 Frame mode - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 14th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #316
Regular Crew

Donovan, I posted your question over here too: xxxxx hopefully someone knows the answer to this....

:)

moderator note: cross-posting is not allowed at DVinfo. Sorry, I removed your link. If you would like this thread moved to the Mac forum I'll be happy to do so, but why not give it a chance here first? Please see our policy here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/announcem...?s=&forumid=20

Thanks for your cooperation,

-Boyd
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #317
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Dennis Parker : Donovan, I posted your question over here too: xxxxx hopefully someone knows the answer to this....

:)

moderator note: cross-posting is not allowed at DVinfo. Sorry, I removed your link. If you would like this thread moved to the Mac forum I'll be happy to do so, but why not give it a chance here first? Please see our policy here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/announcem...?s=&forumid=20

Thanks for your cooperation,

-Boyd
-->>>

No problem!
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #318
New Boot

GL2 interlaced or frame mode?

Hey, guys...another question here...I've been shooting interlaced and frame mode on my GL2 and I've been wondering what anyone's views are on how each one looks and what you think looks better with the projects you've been doing. I think what would be best would be to shoot interlaced and give it the film look in post with magic bullet. I don't know which will look better, though, as I don't have a lot of experience seeing it. Whatever, I just want to know what some of your ideas are and what you've found, what you shoot in. The colors seem stronger in interlaced and even maybe a little...should I say it?...softer? Anyway...let me know what any of you think, please...
Glidecam 2000
Brian Neuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:31 AM   #319
RED Code Chef

This is a very personal thing. In the end it all boils down to what
looks good for you and works with your workflow. Magic Bullet
takes a lot of time to process everything for example. I personally
like the frame modes on the Canon, but that is a very personal thing.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #320

frame mode for me all the way.

there seems to be such a noticeable difference between the two when looking at footage thru a monitor - im surprised that anyone would prefer the way interlaced looks when comparing the two on a tv monitor
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #321
Inner Circle

Another vote for frame mode. The loss in resolution isn't noticeable on a regular television anyway.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:55 AM   #322
Regular Crew

quote from Frank: "If you were shooting, say, still life stuff, then interlaced would actually give you a -slightly- sharper image."

This means if i will be using my gl2 for wedding events it will be better with interlaced? thanks again.
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #323
Major Player

When shooting a still object w/ no camera motion, you should get a sharper image if using interlaced vs. frame mode because interlaced is capturing plain fields as opposed to using an interpolation algorithm like frame mode does. But...how often will you be shooting something that doesn't move?

In events such as weddings, you'll naturally have lots of movement so you would see the effects of interlaced vs. frame-mode. As far as what would be better....well.....that's a tough one to answer because it depends on what look you're going for, what the bride & groom would want...etc...

The last wedding we did with our GL2 was shot in Frame Mode. The bride, groom and their friends / family noticed that it didn't look like a regular video, and they liked it. I can imagine in some cases, though, that they may want the 'regular video' look, because it's what they're used to.

If you wanted to play it safe, you can just shoot interlaced and if you decide to output it as pseudo-progressive (frame mode), then you can just do the After Effects (or other NLE) trick of blending upper/lower fields at 50% to give you that look.......or if you don't want to do that (or the customer doesn't want that look), then you have the interlaced footage.

Let me know if you need more details/clarification.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #324
Regular Crew

Thanks frank, one more question, that you shoot will GL2 in frame mode and it looks different, you mean it's like a cinema for frame mode? thanks in advance. :)
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #325
Fred Retread

People (some more than others) detect a bit of stuttering in the motion of objects in frame mode sequences that they also detect in film.

So frame mode can contribute to achieving a cinematic look to video footage, but there are many more things to consider (camera moves, depth of field, diffusion filters, etc) if that is your goal, and many of them are said to be more significant than exposure modes .
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #326
Major Player

Leonardo: Right - frame mode does look more cinematic than interlaced. This is due to the fact that film is 24 progressive frames per second, and TV is 60 interlaced frames per second.....so 30p is closer to 24p than 60i.

Fred is right, though - if you are going for the cinematic look, a lot of other factors contribute. (lighting, camera handling, grading/color correction etc...)

...but framerate still plays the largest role in giving a film/cinematic look.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #327
Regular Crew

How to tell Frame from Interlaced in DV

Anyone know how to tell footage that was shot in FRAME mode in the GL2 while previewing it on a PC? I cannot tell the difference between interlaced and FRAME, and I'm not sure which I shot. Help appreciated.
Tim Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #328
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

On many, probably most, scenes it may be impossible to distinguish by watching footage on your computer monitor. Remember, the primary viewing target for video is a television. Your computer uses a completely different method for displaying video which, to a degree, eliminates the differences between these modes. As far as your computer is concerned bother are interlaced video.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #329
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ken.
During editing of footage shot in frame and interlaced, is it possible to have these rendered in each method in the same movie? Or, does it have to be all Frame or all interlaced? I use Media Studio Pro.
Tim Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #330
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Again, from the computer's point of view there is no technical difference between Frame mode footage and Normal mode footage. Each comes in interlaced at 60i. Only the GL2 knows that it has preprocessed that footage to get more of a progressive-sccan look.

From an aesthetic view, however, it may be best to use a good production monitor (or at least a good consumer television) as you edit to best judge how well the footage looks when cut together. That's really the ultimate determinate, assuming that you plan for your work to be shown primarily on a television.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders