A GL-2 Imaging Bug / Attribute - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 28th, 2003, 03:50 PM   #46
Warden

If you read my post above, you'll see that light fall off (key hole effect) will improve as you stop down the lens. You shot with it wide open (F1.6) so that is the maximum effect. It will be less noticeable as you stop down.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:29 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Does this happen in Automatic? This does seem to be a problem. Its not like the strap is short or something...its acutally drawing your attention to its imperfection....
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #48
Warden

I believe it will vary with each lens to some degree. It will occur as you zoom and be more pronounced if the lens is wide open (F1.6, F2.0 etc.). It will occur in automatic or any other mode, if you force the lens to be wide open. If you set the mode to AV (aperture priority) and set the lens to F5.6 or higher, the fall off should not be noticeable, even if you zoom.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:43 PM   #49
Regular Crew

So basically, its even worse in low light because of this...

I am wondering if the extra 8X in a Gl2 is worth the quality loss overall to a VX2000?

I will be shooting day and night. Weddings, musicals, graduations, and maybe a short film. I hope Canon addresses this in the next month or so...

I really hate to get a lesser camera for the money.

I am a beginer and basically looking for a point and shoot camera from the go...

I heard that the Gl2 is this camera, but this is a downfall. No way to put it.
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I went down into the same lighting I shot earlier today to do some tests. I recorded video a minimum light for Wide, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and Full zoom with Image Stabilization on and off. Shot data is in the image for the shot. Here are the results:

http://joesacher.com/video/canon/canon.htm

I expected that the results might improve or stay the same when I turned IS off. In fact, it looks to me that I get less of a keyhole effect with IS on. That is not what I would expect.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Cirino,

If your target is going to be video that plays on TV, then you will most likely never notice this. I shoot video for both TV and computer, but I always do a "TV safe" type of crop to the footage for computer. This is to keep the titles and such from looking stupid because of too much free space all around. I think it is something to be aware of, but not a real problem for me. The Movie Frame mode more than makes up for it over the VX2000 for me.
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #52
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Those are very interesting results, Joe. Thanks for doing some lab work!

Gee, I can't imagine what some innocent visitor to that page might think it means...

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:58 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Yeah, my site gets indexed pretty well by Google. If they robot through DV Community, it should be indexed in a month of so. I'll just let them wonder, when they get there. :)
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:46 PM   #54
Warden

First, let's start calling it by it's right name - Light Fall Off. The reason for this is that as professionals it reflects poorly on us to use improper or confusing names. Does your mechanic call spark plugs "those round sparky things in your engine." Do we call it a lens or "that round glass whatchamacallit on the end of my camera." This will make it easier to diagnose in the future and aid others who may stumble across this issue.

There is nothing Canon can do to fix this optical defect (except resign and manufacture a replacement camera). Light fall off is present in all optical systems. In other words every lens you own and will own for the foreseeable future, will have light fall off.

If you shoot for TV this is a non-issue. It's in the overscan and won't be seen. The GL2 is an NTSC video camera and as such meets requirements for that use. If you design for web or computer it may be an issue and you'll want to minimize it's effect by following my suggestions in the post above. In the tests the fall off is greatly reduced at F2 and probably gone at F2.8 or F4. Make sure not to do your web or computer work at F1.6, use a different F-stop and it's a non-issue.

Old May 28th, 2003, 06:06 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff. This clears it up for me. GL2 it is!!

Thanks...
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Setting the f-stop to 2.4 fixed the problem completely. Thanks Jeff.
Steve Withers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 11:27 AM   #57
New Boot

Jeff, many thanks from another new boot. I was ready to freak out about this issue, but your quick f-stop edjumication saved the day. Back in love with my GL2! And thanks also Joe for posting the examples above.
Kurt Kober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 04:45 AM   #58
Regular Crew

When I first got my GL2 this problem never occured until now. My waruntee is over and I don't know how to approach the problem. In every post within this topic I seem to find nothing that will fix the problem. When I zoom in about halfway there isn't a keyhole effect, the whole picture darkens! Most of my work is web oriented and I would hate to have to live with this problem or use different settings that I don't want to use on my GL2 just to get rid of the problem. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 05:58 AM   #59
Warden

When the whole picture darkens, is the exposure in auto or manual? Try to duplicate the effect in auto and see if it goes away.

Old August 21st, 2003, 02:03 PM   #60
Regular Crew

This still was taken in full manual(S - 1/60, F - 1.6, DB - 0).

http://www.visital.com/keyhole/(Unknown) - Still 001.jpg

This still was taken in full auto.

http://www.visital.com/keyhole/(Unknown) - Still 002.jpg
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders