Wireless mic noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 17th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless mic noise

I am using a Sennheiser EW100G2 mic on my Canon GL2 and am recording some voice narration. I have the attenuator on, but I still get some distortion with my sound. Any suggestions appreciated as I'm rather new to audio.

Tim
Tim Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #2
Major Player

IF you are refering to the static (sounds almost like white noise) in the background when your talent is not speaking, then welcome to the wonderful world of wireless. There will always be a bit of static when you use low cost (yes, $500 is low cost) wireless systems. The best thing that you can do is mke sure the levels coming from the wireless are as high as possible without clipping to minimize the static boackground. Also, take the time to record a bit of just the static (no one talking or sound coming through the mic)--it will make life easier in post.

Wireless mics are a necessary evil, they are not ever as good as a hard wired mic, but they alow us to do thing that we could not other wise. So if possible, skip the wireless and use a hard wired mic if sound quality is top priority.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Patrick:
I adjusted the AF output on the Receiver to +6 and the Sens setting on the transmitter to -30db, and the sound improved greatly. The noise I was referring to was distortion in the voice more than hiss. What setting are you referring to when you say "levels should be as high as possible"?

Thanks again

Tim
Old November 17th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Sorry I missed you on that one. The levels that I was talking about are the same levels your just played with. I would suggest (without being there to test it out of course) to bring the levels up on the transmitter and down on the receiver. I like to try to keep the receiver at 0db gain (if I can) and bring the transmitter up a bit. Generally speaking, you want the levels as hot as you can get them without the distortion you previously mentioned. But you'd be best to play with it yourself to find the best combination.

On the GL2 this sound be coming in at around -12db with peakings going close (but not over) -3db. Try to work this out while keeping the gain on the GL2 moderate--too much gain here will introduce noise from the GL2's onboard sound circuits.

Good luck!
Patrick
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Patrick:

By bringing the setting up on the transmitter, do you mean the Sens adjustment?
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Tim-

Exactly, the Sensitivty adjustment is just another name for Gain (or levels) in the wireless packs.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders