Bag for GL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 24th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #16
Old Boot

Jim OMalley !

Jim - I'm trying to locate the KATA MC60 on B&H or any where on the Net . .? Got something else to go on, to get to the KATA MC60?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 08:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Grazie --

Here's the link to the MC-60 in the Kata site:
http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=243&cid=65&perentId=1&ProdLine=1

Here's the link on the B&H site:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=316875&is=REG

You may be having a problem because I omitted the hyphen in my original post ("MC60" instead of "MC-60")

Hope this helps

Jim
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I never put my video or camera stuff in a video or camera stuff bag because those fancy bags attract thieves. Instead I just toss the stuff in the cheapest, simplest soft briefcase. I even put it in a supermarket plastic bag once, but felt that did not provide enough (any!) protection from bumps. If you are really worried about banging the thing around, just get one of those tubular gym bags and put a pillow under the camera and another pillow on top of it, and maybe a belt around the whole thing to hold the camera in place so it does not slide to the sides of the bag. There you go: Better protection than any "camera bag" -- and the thieves will not be interested in your sweaty gym clothes - !!
Old November 26th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #19
Old Boot

Jim thank you. This is the one I finally "landed" on, about 48 hours ago:

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1

It can take both XM2 and I can use it as a ruck sack OR wheelie OR top handle. It also has the "QuickDraw" option with my attachments in place. I need to get about London on public transport/taxis . . this is the best solution for me. Oh, I can also slip some sticks down the side. The 105 takes as much as I can throw at it, now whether I can actually "lift" it is another story?!?!? HAHAHA . . ;)

Scott, I understand about security, and your points are well met.

I recently got a neat portable DVD player. I've realised that when ever I'm filming OR the client invites me along to the final "screening" of my work in front of an audience, it is during this post warm-glow presentation period - sometimes lasts only 30 or 60 mins - I'm approached by eager "We-want-too!" potential leads that I can now easily whip out other finished products. Now it isn't just about the Bus Card . . it is HOW enthusiastic and flexible you really are . . hey, enough of my approach to biz . . So, now this player finds a small home in the 105 too!

Thanks guys for nudging me to take another financial leap .. it HAS been worth it . .

Grazie
Old November 27th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hey Graham congrats on a great bag selection: This bag does not look like an equipment case at all: That meets the security concerns I raised above -- I may just get one of these - !! It could even pass for a gym bag. Just hang some dirty smelly shoes on the outside of it and maybe a Pacers decal with a photo of Ron Artest on it...you'll be good to go safely anywhere on Earth!

Old November 27th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #21
Old Boot

Hiyah Scott me lado! You up early OR bed late . . ?

. . and yes, I thought so too. It looks kinda '60s Scruff! Kinda Isle of Wight : Jimi Hendrix or dare I say Woodstock! .. I might even stick an UNC or a Peace symbol on it . . definately a Ying Yang! . . The wheels are tremendous and the ruck Sack straps really make me look like a poor student travellor - "Huh,whats he got?" - type of look.

The space and zipped pouches are all over it like a rash. It can open up as a clam shell too. The "Quick" draw through the Ribbed section is extemely well thought out and you can quickly rumage about for that extra thing you want too, without "flashing" your vital/expensive bits to the local scallies. It comes with its own Heavy Weather raincoat - matte black one-side Sun reflective the other. Salesman said to me "Look Graham, you can even use it as a lighting reflector too!" . . . yeah ok . . but the point was made. And yes you also get 1/2 metre of KATA's own flexible and cutable internal adjustable walling/separators. . . There are many many other features to examine which will come apparent when you start "playing" with it . . it really is an amazing extrenmley well thought out with many of these creative ideas actually "designed-in" to the final "whole". As I say it might not be for everyone. By the time I got "all" my needed equip in I realised that I need more time in the Gym! . . Well, that's gotta be a good thing in itself.

One last thing I have too share with you Scott is the neat pocket perfectly designed to "take" the strapping of the ruck sack option! OH yes you also get ANOTHER cavity for a laptop too! . . Totally wild!

Grazie
Old November 27th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #22
Regular Crew

We can see you really thought this out thoroughly - now we can all benefit from your exhaustive analysis - many thanks.

>You up early OR bed late . . ?
Late? 1:30am? Ha! That's nothing. You see when your girlfriend is a professional belly dancer she doesn't even come home until 2 or 2:30 -- even later if she's dancing for real Arabs. The night is truly young here in Greenwich Village. Couldn't sleep anyway with all the reveling (and fighting, and motorcycles) going on in the street outside. Oh don't get me started...but perhaps you now understand my security concerns with still greater clarity. It's not just that I don't want the nasties to grab my bag on location...I don't want them to spot the cameras too easily when they break into our apartment either. I leave bottles of liquor and cash on the counter near the door in the hope they'll just take that and flee -- leaving the gear alone - ! Ha! Fun fun fun....
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Grazie --

You make a great case (pun intended) for the backpack solution. If I used public transport as much as you I probably would have gone the same way. These KATA bags are amazingly versatile. I've spent a couple of hours experimenting with the best arrangement for my camera and gear in all of the MC-60's pockets and compartments -- and I haven't even started making my own compartments with that "Modivers" material. (I love the yellow interior.) I'm shooting a high school football game next Saturday, so it will be interesting to see how this all works in the field.

Best,
Jim
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:43 AM   #24
Old Boot

Yeah! KATA should give me rebate just on this review! ! !

I'll try and do a zipper count on the 105 and tell you! I'm starting to understand why it might be called the 105 . . that must be the total Inch length of Zipage . . if that is such a word.
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #25
New Boot

I recently bought a Kata R-102 backpack for my GL2, digital camera and accessories. It's a nice snug fit, but everything fits that I absolutely need to fit. Also, it's not as big as some of the other backpacks I looked at, and there were plenty. It was about $135 at B&H. Has a very good harness system and plenty of dividers and pockets for my simpler needs (not a pro or semi-pro by any stretch of the imagination).
Jon Welker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:31 PM   #26
Regular Crew

My Case

When I bought my camera I decided that I would rather have a hard case, and quickly grew frustrated with the prices that Canon and others charge for such things. I was able to put together my own for not very much money at all.

http://members.aol.com/bmiller025/CameraCase.htm

The biggest advantage is that when I get fed up with the way things are laid out, I just grab a new piece of foam and make a mess of my desk. Haven't cut myself yet, and I am on my third layout. As I add accessories, priorities change.

The case is not too heavy. I was shooting a documentary outside in the freezing cold (we've got ten inches of snow outside!) last Wednesday night, and my lovely interviewer/companion was unable to carry the case for me, but I don't have any problems with it. I don't trust the shoulder strap too much, but if I ever find I rely on it, I will replace it with something a bit sturdier. I usually sling my tripod case on my shoulder, and keep the camera in my hand.

I have twice now taken it on airplanes without any trouble. Fits great in the overhead compartment, and I don't have to worry about some maniac trying to cram their rollaboard suitcase on top of my camera.

I am definitely going to check out Keith's Wal-Mart rolling cabinet for my lighting gear!
Brian Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:52 AM   #27
Old Boot

I think I'm coming around to the idea that, as with have a range of mics for certain jobs, I do need a selection of bags for certain jobs. And yes it IS about value for money BUT it is also about the correct bag/case for a particular project. Speaking plainly, why dictate to a project the type of case I will use? Meaning, this case is too small/big/awkward I need something bigger/flexible/travel-aware, so I'll only have this bag as an option. This is nutz! . . I now have a range of bags/holdalls/trolley just to be convenient. I've spent £X on kit, how come I aint giving myself the permission to do the same with bags? Well, I have and I am!

.. oh, BTW .. just researched some lighting kit at our - UK - Wickes. 500 watt halogen £23.00 with a 6' tripod . . good eh?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders