Wide vs. Tele at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 29th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wide vs. Tele

Hi all,
while reading an interwiew with Ellen Kuras about how "Pesonal Velocity" was shot (ok, they used a PD 150 and not a XM2..) I came to this:

"I didn't want to shoot very many wide shots. If we were going to shoot wide shots, we would have to move the camera far away and shoot on the longer part of the lens. This is because the lines on Mini-DV cameras resolve much better when shooting with the longer part of the lens that is slightly zoomed in. There's better resolution and it feels more visceral. One can see how wide angle shots do not resolve very well, one can't even see that it's in focus. The focus may be sharp but the image seems soft because the lens can't resolve the detail that well."

I definitely like the images that I shoot with my XM2 when in tele too. Still, I don't understand why.
Do you guys have an opinion on this?

Thanks
pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Pietro,
It is true that standard definition video simply does not have the recording resolution to do justice to wide shots that feature fine details, such as expansive landscapes. It just gets too mushy. High-definition is much better in this category, although even HD pales in comparison to film (or even higher-res digital still pro cameras) in this category. It is not so much the focal length of the lens, but rather the fineness of detail in the shot.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ken,
I should have written "I definitely like BETTER the images that I shoot with my XM2 when in tele", but I see that you understood what I meant anyway.
Shooting in tele also gives me the possibility of playing with depth of field.. I'll keep in mind what you said.
Thanks!
pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Not quite sure I agree with Ellen Kuras on this one. In fact I'd go so far as to say I do not agree. Here's a simple test to prove that the Sony (or canon) lens is very well matched at both ends of the zoom range. Pin a sheet of newspapar to a wall and have your camera perpendicular to it on a decent tripod. Move the camera real close and film at max wide-angle, or better yet, up the shutter speed and capture to memory card.

Now move the camera a lot further away and film the same shot on full telephoto, making sure the v/finder shows the same image. Or take another still.

Now look at the join between these two scenes on your best TV monitor or open the files in Photoshop. There will be minor perspective differences and you'll see the barrel distortion down the wide end, but sharpness differences? You'll be very hard pushed to spot those.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Most lenses are going to perform the best in the middle as far as the zoom setting and aperture setting’s are concerned (regardless of format) although sometimes you have to use the extremes for the look you are after if it be the perspective or depth of field.
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders