Still Photos: Anyone really use this feature? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:13 PM   #16
Regular Crew

If stills are your main objective, don't forget that the GL2 only shoots stills at 1.7 megapixel resolution. That's fine if you're shooting mostly for the web, but otherwise (in these days of 6 megapixels and better), it's a compromise. You might need to keep your 35mm (or get a digital back that works with your 500mm lens). However, you could still leave the spotting scope and small digicam at home.
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:57 PM   #17
New Boot

Jim, I realize that you are correct re the SLR picture quality. I have considered getting the Canon D20 digital to replace my current Canon, but the idea of one tool replacing 3 has just about sold me on the GL2. My current Sony digicam stills are of acceptable quality except that the zoom is not adequate. Assuming that the GL2 would be superior and be 20X, I think it might fill the bill for my website uses.

I look forward to any other information or comments that any reader might have.
Paul Abat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 06:14 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The GL2's still picture performance exceeded my expectations and I suspect it will pleasently surprise anyone who looks at the 1.7 megapixel specs and then tries it.
Here is one of my favorite GL2 stills.
http//members.cox.net/vrworld

Val Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:27 PM   #19
New Boot

Val, I could not get that address to work. Can you try again since I'd like to see it.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:43 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Paul,
I'm sorry, just noticed a typo in the url. This will work for sure:

http://members.cox.net/vrworld

Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:56 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Val thats awesome!! Would it print that way also or is it only for ntsc. Is it captured to a memory card or on tape? How different is a video frame grab of the same subject?
Old December 25th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #22
New Boot

Val, the only thing I can say is that those morning glories are truly "glorious". I'll agree that the capture was what I needed to see to convince me that the GL2 is more than adequate at the close-up for my needs.

Now, can anyone supply a GL2 still photo taken of a person or deer sized animal about 100 yards away at 20X in early morning or late afternoon light..?

All posts have been so helpful.
Old December 26th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Paul

I've posted two images that may help you evaluate the zoom and still capabilities of the GL2 in low daylight conditions. They were taken on an overcast day in early morning. Here's the link:

http://www.arrowleaf.net/samples/
Old December 26th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #24
Regular Crew

>Val thats awesome!! Would it print that way also or is it only for ntsc. Is it captured to a memory card or on tape? How different is a video frame grab of the same subject?<

Terry,
Picture was captured to memory card in fine setting 1488x1128, it would print to an 8x10 (150 dpi). video frame frame grab would be at standard ntsc res 640x480.

Old December 26th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #25
New Boot

Jim, thanks again for your help. That 20X really does the job doesn't it? It is neat how the background colors blend like a watercolor. What would you guess the range was from the camara to the eagle?

Out of curiosity, can you take a picture like that handheld under those conditions. In my wildlife uses I will not be able to use a tripod very often but will be able to either rest the camera on something solid or will be able to brace my body against something solid. I've used a "wood paddle" like board on my SLR that I can use to rest on a surface like a limb, bolder or blind window and put the handle on top of my shoulder and can get reasonably steady even when using 1000mm.
Old December 26th, 2004, 07:47 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Hi Paul --

I'm terrible at estimating distances, so I don't want to guess at the range. It was certainly much more than 100 feet. I'll ask one of the people I was with -- maybe they'll have some idea.

Those two shots were taken on a tripod. Due to a slight breeze and the difficulty in holding the camera perfectly still at 20X zoom, I believe that the "full zoom" shot would have been blurry if I had done it handheld, no matter what shutter speed I used.

Later note: One of my camping companions says he guesses the distance to be 500 - 600 yards -- but points out that distances over water can be difficult to estimate.
Old December 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #27
New Boot

Jim, thanks for the distance update. BTW, no matter what it actually is, it appears that it "was a long way". In the wide view I can't even see the eagle..!
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:30 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Val, thanks again, and guess what I got for Christmas..........thats right a nice bright shiny GL-2! Im EXCITED!!!!!!
Old December 30th, 2004, 01:01 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Terry, great to hear that congratulations!!. I look forward to reading about your new GL2 as you put it thru its paces :).

Val Rodriguez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders