Christmas List (Accessories) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 21st, 2004, 11:51 PM   #16
Old Boot

Brian, apart from "forgetting" sometimes to turn on the Senni batt - yes I've done this, nobody else does it! - I don't have an issue with it. I can't speak to phantom . . never had this as an option with my DV kit - sorry!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:27 AM   #17
New Boot

No problem....I'm just trying to decide if moving to a different camera based on the phantom xlr issue is valid. The GL2 seems to be an outstanding unit overall. I've just never payed attention to the fact it does not supply phantom through the ma300 or Beachtek add ons. I guess the bigger question would be "is there any quality difference in a phantom powered mic vs a battery powered mic?"

Do the batt powered mics lose quality as the batt gets weak?

Thanks Grazie.....enjoy your insight (and posts)
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:47 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Generally the silver oxide 'button cells' that power mics keep a very constant voltage output over their entire life. then they die quickly. So the mic sounds good right to the end. AAA and AA cells have a more gradual fall-off but the mic circuits should be designed to work with the more variable voltage.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:44 PM   #19
Old Boot

Grazie goes and Does it!

I did it .. I got me a Matte Box and just 2 filters: Pola and 0.3 softgrad . .. 4x4 . . 16:9 bellows . .

here yah goes ..

The Kestel: http://www.truelens.co.uk/matte/kestrel.htm

Now I'm even poorer . .. HAHAHA! But I'll have Bright Bklue Skies and and and Great DoF and and and Llots of detail . . . HAH-ha!

. . . Mister, spare some coppers for a poor videographer? It is Christmas!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:48 PM   #20
DVCreators.Net

The newer Phantom Powered Beachtek DXA-6 on my GL-2 works like a charm. I have the older version of the AT-897 shotgun mic, the AT-835B and by utilizing Phantom Power from the DXA-6, it really opens up this mic, but I find myself using my Sennheiser ME66/K6 more often as it sounds, almost *twice* as good.
I'd lean away from the MA-300, it feels so brittle on top of the camera, I was always afraid it might snap off. The Beachtek mounted underneith is rock solid.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:29 PM   #21
New Boot

Thanks ...I went back and looked at the beachtek dxa6....I had originally thought only the dxa-4p would fit the GL2 but I was wrong (don't tell my wife...she still thinks I'm perfect)

The dxa6 would solve the issue.....does it add bulk to the camera that makes it hard to handle off of a tripod?
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:53 PM   #22
DVCreators.Net

IMHO, I don't think the DXA-6 attached to the GL-2 adds enough bulk to make it uncomfortable. Now when you toss on a big BP-945 battery, WD-58 wide, Lee Matte box, ME-66/K6 shotgun then the whole rig does get bulky, but hey - then you get a Steadystick!

The only thing I'll knock on the DXA-6 is that now I do have trouble with one of the controls on the Miller DS10 tripod. Not really the Beachtek's fault, but I'm looking into shortening the plastic knob on the DS10 head to compensate. Not really that big of a deal...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders