GL2 Shaking problem (please help) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:33 PM   #1
New Boot

GL2 Shaking problem (please help)

I have owned my Canon Gl2 just about two years now, and it has a fair bit of mileage on in. The last month or two I have noticed a shake in the image. It will do it at random times, and then stop and be fine other times. the shaking isnt anything super extreme, but enough that is is messing up certain shots. Anyone ever experienced this problem, or have any suggestions or ideas?
Josh Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:34 PM   #2
New Boot

also, i have ran a head cleaner tape through it and it didnt seem to solve the problem
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Image Stabilization

Occasionally, I forget to turn image stabilization ON when not using a tripod. My shots are then shaky. Stabilization is on by default for a GL1. You actually have to turn it off. But a GL2 is different. You have to go into the menu to turn it on. Or it can be assigned to a custom key. Are you sometimes forgetting to turn image stabilization on? Either by going into the menu, or by pushing the custom key?

Does the shake occur when you are on a tripod? Image stabilization turned On might cause this. It should be turned Off while on a tripod. There is a slight delay to image stabilization while the lens decides what to do. If on a tripod, and you do a Pan, image stabilization at the beginning of the pan can make the image a little funny; maybe it looks like a shake to you?
Old February 3rd, 2005, 03:05 PM   #4
New Boot

i actually still get the shaking even if the camera is on a tripod. it's like the camera will be completly still, but then it shakes. it will also shake if i'm just filming while holding the camera really still, the image will shake
Old February 3rd, 2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Shaking

Are you making on the fly adjustments to the camerea. I get some shake when I mess with the exposure lock, especially noticeable when I am on a tripod and zoomed in. Just trying to eliminate the little things that could be operator induced. So often we get involved in the shoot an don't notice how our own movements affect the camera. For example, I have to be very careful with the zoom on a Canon ZR50mc single chip camera. Let go of the zoom lever after zooming in or out, and the lever snaps back with an noise very audible to the camera mic. So I have to keep my finger on the zoom lever and slowly let it return to neutral position.
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #6
Tourist

We have 2 GL2's and I have seen both have the exact symptom you described. To date, I have not found an answer. At least you are not the only one!

At the time the image shake happens, do you have anything plugged in to the camera? When I've seen our's do it, it has always had something plugged in to the A/V output and the LANC port.
Mark N. Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders