an old newbie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 9th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #1
New Boot

an old newbie

I just wanted to introduce myself and finally say hello. I discovered this site about a year ago and have been one of those dreaded lurkers ever since, j/p. This forum in particular helped me make the GL2 choice. I've since then been a happy owner of the cam. So, thank you to all who contribute the invaluable information you do. I only hope that I can be as helpful to some of you as you have been to me.

I'm now at a new quandry though and am in need of some advice. I'm about purchase some sound equipment (and a few other accessories) and wanted to make a sound choice. I was totally ignorant and still am somewhat as to where to even start. After a thorough search of these forums though I have got a small clue.

For strarters ... the XLR adapter

I've looked at the ma300, beach tek, studio 1 and sign video and have decided that I like Sign Video's XLR Pro.

The mic I'm still unsure of. I want one that can be used as a regular shotgun mic, but one that can also be mounted on a boom pole.

The general consensus around here appears to be that the Sennheiser ME66 is the ish, but what is the K6? Is it a needed mixer of some sorts? Plus, I really don't think this mic fits my budget right now. I want something that I can put a battery in and go, but with something like that would I even need an XLR adapter or just the Hosa cable?

Some of the mics I've checked out thus far:

Azden's sgm-1x (affordable, but I keep reading negative comments)

and

Sennheiser's mke-300 (can this mount to a boom pole)

Basically, I want an XLR adapter with a good compatable mic that has its own power source and that can be placed on a boom pole as well as my camera shoe.

Here is my issue. As you can see ... I'm still somewhat lost. Please help.

Oh and one last thing. I want to purchase a .65x wide angle converter and a/some achromatic diopters. I've been to century optics page, but can't find a dealer I want to go through....any suggestions?

Thanks.
Josiah Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Josiah,
Welcome to the Forum!
I'm glad that you are enjoying your GL2. It's a fine camera. I use the XM2 in PAL land.
As for the XLR adapers, I use a BeachTek and have been very happy with it. Having said that, I have no experience of the other makes, so I can't honestly say if one is better than the other. I guess I must have made the choice from reading Forums such as this...
As for the K6 - it's a module that will power the actual mic capsule. Once you have the K6, you can add different capsules to it, but you must start with the K6 first.
A lot of people recommend the Audio Technica AT 897. I'm currently thinking of getting one myself. It can be powered by a 1,5volt battery (AA)

If I may quote from a web site:

"The Audio Technica AT-897 is the best performing Shotgun Mic you can buy under $450. It was specifically designed to stomp out sales of the ME66/K6. The AT-897 will deliver better peformance both sonically and logistically in any videographers audio package."

-end of commercial !!!

If you intend to use your new mic on a boom or pole, then you'd best go for an XLR connection, since you'll be able to use a long cable run without picking up any hum of other electrical interference.
I'm not sure what your budget is for a mic, but there are a few cheaper ones out there I'm sure. Maybe someone else will come back with some ideas.

As for the wide angle adapter, you won't do better than buying Canon's own WD58 lens. It's very very good.
As for the close-up adapters, I bought some HOYA ones. You'll need the 58mm size. If you get a 1x diopter and a 2x, you can add them together to make 3x. etc.

Regards,

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #3
New Boot

thanks for the info.

with the at897, it says it operates on battery or phantom power, so that means I don't need any power modules like the k6, right? Just an xlr adapter and I'm good to go?
Josiah Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:10 AM   #4
Trustee

That's correct!

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Sorry to disturb here :-) but I am planning to buy an external mic once to, not now, but I still can ask. I don't have the GL2, but the XL1s, but that doesn't matter: did you say the at-897 is better than the Me66?
I don't know a lot about mics, so I have to learn a lot, but after indeed reading many of these boards, many people claim the K6/Me66 is sooooo good, so I just wondered.

Thanks,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders