GL2 Pics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 3rd, 2002, 09:59 PM   #1
Major Player

GL2 Pics

Check out

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum8.html

Hope to finish it up and post the movie soon. I am impressed with the film like image quality of this cam.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 10:15 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Great -- thanks for sharing this. Please keep us advised of any additions you put up.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 10:18 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Very nice shots! Good work. I look forward to seeing the clips.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 11:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What were your CP settings. Just standard factory or?

Michael
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2002, 01:39 AM   #5
Outer Circle

Another bird shooter! I got some crows sitting on a tree the other day.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2002, 11:10 AM   #6
Major Player

A 6 MB MPEG2 movie was just posted, the first of a series of 6 movies all around 6 MB each. The movie seems to run fine on my Apple web page, but if any problems let me know.

I am pretty sure I used "TV" and not "CP" for these movies. I clicked exposure down anywhere from 1 to 3 clicks. Hope I didn't over do it.

DISCLAIMER: None of the ducks in this video were harmed in any way, nor were any given drugs to make them fall sleep on cue, which you may see in the next clip.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater12.html
Old October 4th, 2002, 09:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Deleted post
Old October 4th, 2002, 09:30 PM   #8
Tourist

hmmm... i'm running Win ME and couldn't view either clip. :^( I don't seem to have any trouble with other imovie clips.... I was looking forward to seeing yours - loved your stills last night and was looking forward to seeing the GL2 in action.

-jenn (newbie eyeing the GL2)
jenndietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2002, 10:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Jendietz, does your movie player play MPEG2? If not you might be able to download an update for it. Personally I have PowerDVD player from Cyberlink:

gocyberlink.com

This player is phenomenal in my opinion, and wheras my Windows Media Player runs the movie very jerky at full screen, PowerDVD has no problem at all.

I think that's the link. I have it on my PC laptop, wherein I created the file, transfered it to my Mac Powerbook 667 DVI laptop, then uploaded it. Since I have Quicktime 6 and the upgraded MPEG2 player codec, the movie runs fine on either my Powerbook or my PC laptop which runs with Windows 2000.

Sorry you could not view it; perhaps I will upload a .mov version if you or others have problems. I think MPEG2 at 740x480 looks better though. By right clicking on the MPEG2 movie on the web page once it is fully viewable I can save it to the hard drive and run it full screen.
Old October 4th, 2002, 10:26 PM   #10
Major Player

Here is the free download for PowerDVD:

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/download/dl_file.jsp?dl_id=1
Old October 5th, 2002, 04:35 AM   #11
Regular Crew

to buddy1065

I looked at your still images and I have the feeling that the photo shot on your memory card is much better quality than the ones you took in frame mode. Am I right in my observation???????
Hans Kuipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 06:02 AM   #12
Major Player

I would say yes. However the photo mode is nothing I would ever use in a professional sense, like a wedding shoot. I have a 2.1 megapixel Sony F-55 digital camera, and there is no comparo; the Sony pics blow the GL1 pics away. I think the GL2 cam mode could have been better. In any case it was not a deciding factor in purchasing the GL2. I think it is to me a bell and whistle I would barely use, like the digital effects of the cam. You know, I need to at least check those digital effects out, but I am really no interested...the video quality is proving to be worth the investment and that is all I was really concerned about from the beginning. The only reason I posted frame captures is to let folks get an idea of the cams potential in video, not photographic quality. Because if the cam does that well in video frame capture, you know the video itself has got to be worth checking out. So my opinion is if you are looking for good digital photographs then buy a digital camera. I bring my F-55 to weddings and take group shots of the wedding party right along with the photographer after the wedding, running my camcorder and doing slow zooms on the group at the same time. I incorporate both digital pics and camcorder shots, editing on iMovie, showing them as the credits are rolling up the screen at the end of my wedding video with the appropriate dubbed music, and customers love it. "My husband almost cried at the end of the video" and $50 tips are all the evidence I need to know that the digital camera and the camcorder can work hand in hand successfully.

Hope this helps!
Old October 5th, 2002, 07:14 AM   #13
Regular Crew

to buddy1065

I agree that the photo quality is not te reason for buying a GL2 however it is a nice option if it works for website applications. Concerning digital still cameras I prefer a Canon G3 or S45 in the compact class.

Back to the GL2. Reading all treads I concluded that the GL2 is 0.5 to at most 1 stop less light sensitive than the VX2000 and that the audio quality is a bit better than the VX2000. The GL2 has a few better option like more zoom, l/r separated audio controll and full progressive scan/movie frame. Otherwise they are almost identical. The GL2 being a bit cheaper and having no metal body. Am I right ??
Hans Kuipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 07:38 AM   #14
Major Player

I can't disagree with what you are saying so far. I am impressed with the high quality workmanship of the unit, though it be plastic it is quite sturdy and solid. The LCD door is more fragile than the GL1 unit, but is still capable ; I have no real complaint there also. Light sensitivity is what I need to test next, but I can only compare it to my GL1, since I have no experience with the VX2000, but have 2 GL1 cams on hand. For some I imagine the VX2000 would be a better choice as far as light sensitivity, but it all depends what you want your cam for. I would feel handicapped without a 20x zoom, being used to my GL1 cams. And with a decent video image at up to 40x digital, the GL2 is the way to go for me; the VX2000 would leave me wanting more. I will post a short clip at 40x zoom on my next upload if I can get the laptop to work. Apple has a ways to go with their web server and OS 10.2
Old October 5th, 2002, 07:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

to buddy1065

Ah that would be nice if you upload a video at 40* zoom. I also heard that the "optical image stabilisation" of the GL2 does a better job than the one on the VX2000 and Sony camcorders in general. Is this true?

Why is the LCD screen/door of the GL2 more fragile as the one on the GL1????? In one thread I read that because the body is made from plastic it makes sounds during handeling and those sounds are picked up by the mic. Is this true?

Actually I can not wait to buy a GL2 as soon as possible but I have to wait for another few months and save some money.

By the way where do you live?
Hans Kuipers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders