Avoid this scam: GL2 for $1749 (new) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Closed Thread

Old October 6th, 2002, 05:09 PM   #1
New Boot

GL2 for $1749 (new)

http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?item=Cngl2&L=google

No Warranty and a non US version.

Can someone please tell me if this would really be a bad idea to purchase from them?

I own a xl1s and need a second cam.

I am not really concerned about the warranty.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Old October 6th, 2002, 05:28 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Braodway Photo's terrible reputation is legendary here and elsewhere. They are the bottom-feeding benchmark of the photo/video catalog sales world. Just do a Search here for others' experiences.

Give ZGC or Zotz Digital a call for the best prices and best service.

BTW, why in the world would you NOT be concerned about the warranty on such an expensive item. That's absolutely wrong-headed.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old October 6th, 2002, 05:34 PM   #3
Warden

When you say non US version do you mean PAL? If you need PAL that is one thing, but it would be cost prohibitive to have all your footage converted to NTSC. If it it just Grey Market then there is no US Warranty as you're aware. No US instruction manual and possible wrong charger for the batteries (may need voltage or outlet convertor). There is also a good chance it is nailed down. Nailed down is a term used in the photo industry meaning you can't really purchase it for that price. You'll need to buy other high profit items for it to be sold. If you decline to purchase those items the camera will be out of stock and it won't ship. That isn't always the case, but quit frequently it is.

If you do a search using the button in the upper right, you'll find wonderfull comments about the sponsors of this site and the great service they provide and the very competitve pricing they offer.

http://www.zotzdigital.com/

http://www.zgc.com/

http://www.pro-tape.com/

Have you thought what you would do if the camera you receive has a dead pixel in the CCD? The $500 to $600 to replace the CCD would have not only bought a US version but an accessory or two.

Jeff
Old October 6th, 2002, 05:45 PM   #4
New Boot

Ken,

I am not wrong headed, I as a consumer have never had any digital camera, tv,tivo or anything crap out and have to go through the task of warranty work. Forgive me for being naive Ken I was only asking a question which Jeff answered very politely with out making me feel foolish.

Thanks Jeff
Old October 6th, 2002, 06:04 PM   #5

"DingKing",

I apologize if my remarks made you "...feel foolish".

But if my remarks help to keep you from making an expensive choice that you might deeply regret later my remorse will be manageable.

Whether or not you purchase from one of our site's sponsors is of secondary importance to me. Honestly, I want to see you (and everyone here) purchase the total package that Canon offers (including the warranty) at a fair price from a good dealer and have the wonderful, long experience with this great equipment that you deserve for the expense. The manufacturer's warranty should not be an extra expense to the consumer; it's part of the product's basic pricing structure. A GL-2 is more expensive and/or has more mechanical parts than any of the items you listed on your "never had trouble before" list. It's just a bad and unnecessary bet to forgo a warranty on such a device.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope to see you back here talking about your new GL-2 soon!

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old October 6th, 2002, 06:11 PM   #6
New Boot

With my head out of sand, thank you Ken I know you meant well.
Old October 6th, 2002, 06:40 PM   #7

Hello DingKing (hehe love that name),

You should also consider all of the benefits of buying your GL2 from a local dealer in your home town or surrounding area. Yes, you may end up paying more than you would if you ordered it via mail order, but there are so many rewards to supporting your local photo/ video dealer. Service is key, especially when you have a tech issue with your camera and you have a shoot that night or the next day. Most local dealers will back you up in these circumstances, provide you with a loaner and let you use that loaner until your camera is repaired. When you buy your camera from a local dealer, you are establishing a relationship with that dealer, they know you made a big investment and they want you to feel happy about your investment and that you will always get a good value with them on future purchases. Because of this, most local dealers will give you decent discounts on related expendables such as tape stock, batteries, etc. Your local dealer will also let you spend hours in their store checking out the new cameras and asking questions - something that you really cannot do with a mail order company. Also, many local dealers rent equipment - an excellent way to test a camera before you buy, or use additonal equipment which you do not yet own, at a modest rental fee versus outright purchase.

In short, consider every dollar you spend at your local photo/ dealer an investment with added value, an investment that allows you to build a business business credit and an opportunity to establish a business relationship with another business. There is certainly a lot to be said about having a good business relationship with your local dealer who can provide you with same-day service when you really need it. Remember, those situations usually arise when you least expect it.

Support your local photo/ video dealer I say! :o)
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Old October 6th, 2002, 11:57 PM   #8
Trustee

Mr. Dingking

I'm not one who will tell you who to buy from, for any moralistic or sentimental reason. You have a right to buy from anyone. But, one of the things we are missing here is that, chances are, B-way (Broadway Photo) will not sell you a gl2 for $1749. Not with a warranty, not without one...that's not how they work....trust me, or just try it for yourself.

Their scam is this...you call (or order over the website), either way you will end up talking to a salesman over the phone (he'll call you). He will tell you that this camera doesn't come with a warranty, and that you will need to purchase theirs for about $500. You will protest..."no I don't need it." He'll go..."yes you do, what happens if it breaks down...this is a non USA Camera, you'll have to send it to Europe...it will be a big problem for you". You stupidly persist...." I just want the camera at the price quoted, nothing else." Then one of three things will happen

1. He will tell you the camera is out of stock
2. He will hang up on you.
3. He will scream obscenities at you, then hang up on you.

#3 happened to me when I tried to buy an xl1s at Broadway's unbelievable price last year (I wasn't actually going to buy it from them...I just wanted to learn the scam). Additionally they will overcharge you for shipping, insurance, and every accessory they can talk you into. If you buy a gl2 from broadway camera, you will pay more than you would if you went to one of the very nice sponsors of this site.

here's 38 more opinions...all negative....at least the fellows at broadway are consistent

http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getreview.php/retid=314/ut=18cde48750d970b7/

Oh, and you do need a warranty, no matter what you think.

Cheers.

Barry
Old October 7th, 2002, 12:48 AM   #9
Outer Circle

Check out Broadway and others at:

www.resellerratings.com
Old October 7th, 2002, 07:00 PM   #10
New Boot

We're expecting!

Yes I bought the GL2 this morning from none other than, yes, you guessed it, can we have the envelope please.....Zotzdigital.

Brian emailed me the quote this morning for $2380 and with extreme confidence I ordered it.

Thank you all for your help especially Ken who woke me up.
Old October 7th, 2002, 09:09 PM   #11

Delighted to hear that you went to a great dealer (and one of our sponsors)! I bought an XL1 from Brian many moons ago, before joining this site. He's a top-notch guy running a high-quality business in the rainy Pacific Northwest.

Congratulations!

Old October 8th, 2002, 06:11 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

So glad to hear this story has a happy ending.

Please send cigars to the forum moderators when your baby arrives...

;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders