Auto vs. Manual Exposure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 21st, 2005, 04:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Auto vs. Manual Exposure

What's the range in gain that the GL2 employs when the camera is in Auto mode? I ask because I've noticed that when I switch the GL2 from Auto to Manual, I frequently have to open the lens all the way, set shutter to 1/60 and increase the gain to duplicate the exposure level I'm getting in Auto. Often, the result is too noisy/grainy.

Does Auto actually set a fractional gain level that we can't set using Manual?
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM   #2
Old Boot

At last! Somebody else is seeing this . . thank you! - Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:36 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I think when it's in Auto, it's accessing the slower shutter speeds so what you might be seeing is 1/30th sec. shutter as well as some gain. Just a guess though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Chris,

I thought it might be dropping to 1/30, as well, but I haven't noticed any motion-related artifacts when the camera is in Auto mode. Maybe it's able to determine the maximum fractional increase in gain to avoid any overt noisiness?

In other words, maybe the highest gain the GL2 sets at Auto is still well below the lowest you can set it to on Manual?

Leigh
Old March 22nd, 2005, 02:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

To know what the camera is doing in auto mode I do like this, I'm not sure it is correct but i guess it is: camera in auto mode, push the exposure lock button. Turn to manual, you have the aperture, the shutter speed and the gain set for what the camera thinks it is a correct exposure. Every time you switch from auto to manual after locking the exposure you'll see the exposure meter in the middle of the range, saying you are exposing correctly, this is why i think it is the correct way to see what the auto mode decided. If you switch from auto to manual without locking the exposure the settings will be the ones you used the last time you shot i manual.
When the light is strong, I think I noticed that the camera tends to adjust exposure by changing (closing) the aperture first, then asking you to use the ND filter and then using faster shutter speeds. When it is dark, the camera asks you not to use the ND filter, opens the iris and then starts pushing with gain. I never noticed the camera using a slower shutter speed than 1/50 (XM2).
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders