Sun Spots/Dirt on Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 29th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sun Spots/Dirt on Lens

It's been hard to see sun spots/dirt on my lens while shooting outside. Does anyone have any techniques for ending this little problem?

I realize I should probably bring a monitor with me or stop using the LCD viewfinder. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks for the help.
Mike Cornett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #2
Major Player

A problem most of us have had. Frustrating to say the least.
We need to be hyper fussy about the front end of our lens. I recommend you have a clear filter on your lens. Sure it can get dirty but if you scratch it during your now over zealous lens cleaning habits you have only scratched the filter not your expensive lens.
To the problem with your present footage. You may be able to do a touch up with a rotroscoping programme. I'm on a tight budget and have used the one that comes as part of Media Studio Pro and have been able to touch out or disguise the odd spot or unwanted feature to a acceptable level. Spots are tricky to remove as you usually create a new one. I've saved several shots though in post production. One case of a shadow cast onto the set by a person standing just out of frame and another when a light stand was in view. There is probably better 'rotroscoping' software out there. Perhaps some body else will let us know what.
Old March 31st, 2005, 06:03 AM   #3
Wrangler

The large depth of field make it difficult to avoid seeing the effects of dust on the lens when outdoors, especially if you have a filter on the lens. Do your best to keep lens clean, use compresed dry air to remove dust, or in bad cases use photo lens cleaning material, and try using a larger aperture to reduce depth of field - which may require you use the ND filter and perhaps a higher shutter speed.
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Old Boot

Don is quite right.

I'm now on a pilgrimage on the search for the way to get a DoF set as low as possible for most eventualities. This has meant me getting a matte box and a further range of ND filters. I can now get to 1.5ND and can open up the iris - in most cases - to 2.0. This gives me loads of DoF options and my camera craft has now reached another plateau! This camera just keeps getting me excited.

I know this has departed from the sun spot thing - but DoF is just too important an option not to keep mentioning it.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks

A big thanks for everyone's input. I'll mess around with those techniques.
Mike Cornett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders