Hot Shoe issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 4th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hot Shoe issues

Here's what i'm currently working with:

AT8415 Shock Mount:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=68143&is=REG
along with this shock mount shoe adapter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Type=accessory
and the Senn G2 receiver with shoe adapter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=324229&is=REG

Right now, the AT8415 shock mount is mounted on the GL2's hot shoe, and the Senn G2 receiver is mounted on the Mini Rover:
Mini Rover: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=194070&is=REG
and setup pics: http://homepage.mac.com/cwright3/PhotoAlbum49.html

So, finally we get to the question: why is it that the shoe mounts for the wireless receiver and the shock mount are different?
The shoe mount adapter for the shock mount is arced slightly just enough so that it will mount on the camera's hot shoe, but will not fit on the Mini Rover's cold shoe. The wireless receiver, however, is flat and fits on either mounting point.

I really wanted to mount the shock mount on top of the Mini Rover, so that I could use an adapter like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=146293&is=REG
on the GL2's hot shoe. This way, I could mount the wireless receiver vertically above the camera and still have another cold shoe to mount an on camera light.

If I havent confused everyone already... is there a workaround to make this setup work?

Thanks
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

anyone?
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #3
New Boot

Why is shock mount adapter arched?

I believe it is to prevent the hot shoe electrical contacts from being shorted by the metal adapter. If the adapter is only going to be used on a cold shoe it could possibly be filed with a metal file to fit.
Greg Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks for the reply. I still find it very frustrating that my AT8415 shockmount won't mount onto the Mini Rover's cold shoe... filing it down may force it to fit, but I don't really like the sound of that unless its the only way.

I wonder... is there a different version of that $10 shock mount -> cold shoe adapter available that does fit the Mini Rover's shoe? I suppose since it is this adapter that doesnt fit, and not the actual shock mount, that I wouldn't mind spending another $10 to get one that fits onto the Mini Rover.

Thanks again
Old April 15th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm a little puzzled why you're hot-shoe adapter won't fit on the Mini Rover. I use that adapter all the time and it fits just fine on my Mini-Rover. That Mamiya adapter will not fit on my Mini Rover however. It's plastic too, by the way.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

wow... i'm sorry guys, i'm an idiot.

there are two parts to the adapter, and i didnt realize that both of them could screw up and down. turns out i just had to unscrew it a little more to give it a bit more clearance. So it fits just fine, my fault... should have spent some more time with it before posting :-)

anyway, how do you like the Maiyma Shoe adapter? (assuming you have one). I want to get it to allow me to easily mount the Senn. G2 vertically, since supposedly it will get better reception that way. Is it built well?

thanks again
Old April 15th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I do use the Mamiya. It's handy to mount a mic and VU meter at the same time. I like the design, but it's a damn shame that the foot and tightening ring are plastic. Sooner or later it's going to strip. The rest of it is metal though, and very solid. We also have a light and softbox I had originally wanted to use on it, but it's really not built to handle that kind of weight.
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

well thats dissapointing... the picture of it on B&H appears as if its pretty sturdy, but i dont know why they would make the foot/tightening ring plastic...

my plan was to use the angled shoe for the wireless receiver and the flat shoe (the one directly above the camera's hot shoe) for a Frezzi Micro Fill and softbox. Do you really think this adapter won't handle that much weight?
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I wouldn't do it. With that much money perched on top of your camera, you need to make sure its tightened on there good, and you just don't want to use that much force with a plastic ring. Cool-Lux makes a Y shaped adapter that may be metal (I don't know specifically, but it seems rugged), but it looks like something out of Dr. Seuss.
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

yea, i think i've seen that one, but i really didnt like it. It seems way too big for what it does, and would add alot more height to the camera than I want. The Mamiya adapter seems to be the perfect size.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know of any other adapters similar in size to the Mamiya one, thats more rugged?
Old April 15th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #11
Inner Circle

You could always break off the plastic foot of the Mamiya and attach the AudioTechnica shoe adapter with epoxy. I've been meaning to try that.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders