GL2 Remove Cassette Error Fix - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM   #31
New Boot

where is this reset button on the GL2.....or is there even one, i dont see it!
Old November 28th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Reset Button

After readding subsequent replies, I doubt a reset button would be of much use for your probelm. On a GL1, the reset button is in the recessed area in which the LCD closes. I could not find a reset button on my GL2 or in the manual. However, unlike the GL1, the GL2 gives you access to the memory battery in the recessed area in which the LCD closes. Just remove the battery. I assume removing the battery will reset the GL2 to factory defaults in the same manner that a reset button on a GL1 works.
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #33
New Boot

update

Sent my camera in for repair to the factory. Took about 2 weeks turnaround got a bill for 412 dollars. All that was sent on the invocie was
Labor= 400$
tax 12 $
Fine grit and sand throughout.
Not sure how any sand would have gotten in my camera as i baby it severely.
Well, at least it got fixed although at a substantial cost in my opinion with no real good explination of what was actually done.

The remove the cassette message is very common with these camera's and I don't think a consumer could be thought wrong to expect better performance out of a 3000$ peice of equipment.

Great service from the factory, costly though. Will probably try the another camera with my next purchase. we will see how long this repair holds up.
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Remove cassette msg. gone by itself !?

Last weekend i was shooting some stuff, and this message appeared while rewinding the tape. Next day my XM2 was rewinding same tapes without any problems. I went to Canon service, they inspected the camera and found - nothing. It seems very strange. BTW, one of my friends who is working there said that this is most comon issue with XM2 (I know this from this forum) and it is caused by faulty motor drive. Anyone experienced this ?
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #35
Tourist

GL2 Remove Cassette Error Fix

I have just contracted the not-so-rare "Remove the Cassette" disease. Like others, my GL2 is immaculate and has had the best of care. I am usually the do-it-yourself type, and would rather find a way to fix my cam than have it gone for a week or shell out > $250.

So far, the best suggestion that I've seen as to how to remedy the transport problem is by gently tugging at the guide drums in the cassette mechanism. Doesn't really help.

I haven't seen a good explanation of what causes this problem. Some say bent drums/pins, but that seems unlikely since they're spring-mounted.

It seems to me that a problem that can occur so suddenly, and without any apparent wear on the cam, should be solvable without replacing the whole tape transport mechanism.

Let's collect knowledge about the problem and see if there is a way for us to crack open our cams and fix 'em for free!

If you have had your cam fixed and been given useful information about what was wrong, or if you've encountered the error due to a specific accident or event, or especially if you have camera repair experience, post your snippets of knowledge!

It's worth a try...

Harper
Harper Abbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:03 AM   #36
Regular Crew

I've experienced famous problem two weeks ago with my XM2. Day after cam worked like charm... No explanation. Service guy told me that it is a fault in motor drive, but he didn't talk to much about the problem. It's really a shame for company like Canon to have this type and ammount of same problem. People who buy XM/GL's are mostly experienced users, or wants to move from their consumer cams to something better. Which irritates me most is the fact that I've also worked a lot with VX2000 which was very heavy used, and never have any problem for almoust 3 yrs.
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:59 AM   #37
Inner Circle

I know this is an old issue and this may have already been suggested. Apologies if that's the case.

It isn't a fix to the problem, and I suspect it isn't particularly good for the camera in the long term, but if you are desperate to rewind a tape but keep suffering from the Remove Cassette problem (as I am, as of this weekend), it is possible to 'preview-rewind', ie Play and Rewind.

It's interesting to note that one suggested cause is changing tape brand. I was recently given 20 JVC M-DV60ME tapes (having previously used only Sony DVM60's). I have shot about 6 hours on these new tapes and now the problem has occured. Also interesting was that it occurred first when I rewound a tape on the XM2 that I had recorded in a different camera (a JVC).

Sadly, I'm out of warranty and I have a number of paying jobs over the next few weeks, otherwise it would be in for repair.

As others have said, it's a bit worrying that this problem seems to be so common.

Would anyone be interested in taking part in a survey ('I have/have not had the Remove Cassette problem' kind of thing). I can set one up at Survey Monkey (I have an account) and post a link here.

I don't know if it will get the problem resolved but I'm sure we could send the results back to Canon to see if there's a response.

If you think it's a good idea, let me know what sort of questions would be useful (eg date/place of purchase, when problem first noticed etc)

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #38
Major Player

Not really a solution, but I have some questions regarding this issue. I suppose prevention is the best way to solve this problem, if possible.

Usually how long does it take until your GL2 'contracts' the disease? I own mine for 6 months and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Did any of you guys push the tape mechanism on the wrong spot, even if just a single time? (Not where it says 'push here')

Did you always use the same brand of tapes?
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Dave,

Mine is about 16 - 18 months old and the symptoms started last weekend. I have never pushed in the wrong place (and I am the only person who has ever used the cam) but I have recently used a different tape brand (see my earlier post).

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Within 7 months

I bought my GL2 in early June 2004 and by mid-January 2005 began getting the problems. I'm not so sure it's a time thing as hours logged. I shoot an average of once a week.

My workaround has been to let the camcorder sit powered on with the tape in it. I found that if I get the Remove error message, I'll eject, put it back in and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes (I don't keep track - I just do something else then come back to it), it will usually rewind all the way back to the beginning or close to it.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #41
Regular Crew

4 tapes from new, using Sony tapes. It went back again with the same problem after 3 more tapes run thru'. 2nd time they replaced the tape mechanism.
Am waiting for the next failure............................
Colin Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #42
New Boot

argg

light use and had mine for about 16 months before i got the dreaded disease! argggg. it sucks when you see the "remove the cassette" This is a known problem and deserves a class action law suit. I just paid 400$
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:24 PM   #43
Major Player

This sounds like very bad news to any GL2 users like myself... I wonder if anyone has owned GL2 for over 2 years without having the problem?

Ian and Chris say 16 months, David says 6, Colin says 4 tapes... It seems to be random, or maybe to do with the amount of usage of the deck. Either way I'm starting to think of selling mine. :(
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:39 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Gone tapeless

I've been using my FireStore FS-4 to reduce the need to rewind significantly. I only rewind after laying black on a tape. Otherwise, I just use the FireStore unit for immediate playback.

I've also been transferring my tapes to the FireStore, which automatically segments the video into 2GB pieces and then burning the chunks off on data DVDs.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:03 PM   #45
Fred Retread

Variation in cassette spool spinning resistance

My Maxell tape rewinder give somes insight into an issue that can't help but be related to the GL2 failures. The issue is variation in mechanical drag in the cassette mechanism.

My rewinder's motor turns off when the tape is fully rewound by detecting the sudden refusal of the supply spool to turn. But it also turns off when the resistance to turning is high. As a result, some of my tapes, maybe 10%, are really a pain to rewind with this device because they have so much drag that the device keeps turning off. I have to press the start button dozens of times to get it rewound. I throw these tapes away. I have found offending tapes in the Panasonic, Fuji and Sony brands.

Cassettes such as these will challenge the GL2's apparently frail rewinding mechanism, and certainly be a factor in the "if" and "when" of a particular GL2's failure if the failure mode is mechanical.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders