"Grainy" video? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 6th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #16
Major Player

* Add lighting

Graham, what lighting should i buy for my xm2 to wedding evening situation?
My friend have a canon vl3, this is a 3W lamp, but i think it doesnt help as much as i like. The next Canon lamp is too 'big' for me.
Isn't a cheap 5-10W lamp that use the camera battery?

thx,
Marton
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #17
Old Boot

Good question Prech.

I have the PAG C6 Kit. this is 20 watts which is fine up to 2 meters. I haven't used the VL10 = 10watts which uses a Canon battery - NOT the camera battery! But a separate Canon camera battery. Check this out though.

However, last year I successfully bidded for a 50watt PAG Light off of ebay. Got it for a 1/3 the actual price! I'm very happy with this. More light than I need for my demands. It has day light and frosted filters PLUS the barndoors:

Yes, oh dear, I too bought the VL3. Unless I'm actually about 2' > 3' away, waste of time and money. BUT if you can put up with a bit of grain?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Not the VL10

Prech,
I had the Canon VL10 video light and did not like it at all. It was bulky, for the wattage, stood upright more than horizontal, making it look like a dorky apendage. Also, it simply pointed straight ahead. There was no way to bounce light off a ceiling, or to point it up and over a little people's heads rather than directly into their eyes.

I do like the Sunpack CZ200 video light. Directional from slightly downward to about 45 degrees up. Has auto (7 to 20 watts) and manual (20 Watts), tight throw or wide throw. It is inexpensive compared to professonal lights. With two 4000 mah batteries I can do a four-hour wedding reception easily (turning it on only when shooting). The light will turn itself off just before the battery dies, which protects the light from damage. The CZ200 may no longer be in production. Sometimes you can find them on eBay or a photo store. I found a my second one at a Photo store after B&H stopped carrying them.

A professional light you might investigate is Ferenzi (spelling??). A think one is called a mini fill. From everything I've seen and heard, they are worth the money. Just too pricey for the wedding market I work in.
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #19
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prech Marton
* Add lighting

...what lighting should i buy for my xm2 to wedding evening situation?...

thx,
Marton

You might look at the NRG line of video lights. I have 2 of the MiteLites, and a Varilux. All 3 require an external battery, but they work well for me!

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #20
New Boot

Grain is the Problem

I was reading through this thread and have been experiencing the same problems with grain due to low light...tricky tricky that low light...several people mentioned some post work that can reduce the grain and I also explored Netvideo, which looks great but I don't have windows. My question is does anyone know any post tricks in Final Cut to reduce grain or perhaps a third party software for mac that can reduce grain...thank you for your time...
Bryan Ortiz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders