Locking Focus? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 27th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #1
New Boot

Locking Focus?

Could someone please explain to me how to lock the focus, once it is completely in focus... also locking other settings, such as shutter speed, apeture, and gain? Thank you for your time.
Tom Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #2
Trustee

You have the choice of Manual or Auto focus on your camera. You can either choose to zoom in to the subject in Auto and let the camera focus and then switch to Manual, or stay in Manual and set the focus yourself. In Manual, it will always stay the same, ie. "locked."
Make sure however that you only set the focus when fully zoomed in, since this camera will not hold focus over the whole traverse of the zoom if you don't (don't zoom in a bit and focus - it won't be sharp if you zoom in further.)
As for the other settings, once you are in Manual mode and you've set your exposure etc via the knurled ring, it will stay locked - until you switch off the camera, then they will revert to default.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #3
Major Player

To take it a step further, is it possible to change the way the GL@ resets its settting to default if the camera turns off? I film a lot of live events and like to set all of my cameras up (exposure, shutter speed, gain) before the event so they all match. But if they turn off, auto off, they will reset.

Any fix? (besides disabling auto off)
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm pretty sure nothing resets if you put the camera in "standby" mode.
Robert Crawford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders