Analog to GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 6th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1
New Boot

Analog to GL2

Probably an old question...trying to capture analog from VCR to GL2.

On the GL2 screen I am seeing the image from the TV screen and can hear the audio coming thru the camcorder. The camcorder button is switched to Play(VCR) and the Play menu is set to VCR Set Up, AV>DV Out=ON.
I am using RCA cables connecting the VCR (3 cable) to the camcorder (AV terminal).

I can see the image on the camcorder and hear the audio but can't record to the camcorder tape. What do I need to do?
Mike Lundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Mike,

Is the tape / card slide switch set to tape?

Did you check the GL2 operator's manual on page 101?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3
New Boot

Tape/Card is set to Tape. I was using information on p. 96 as my VCR doesn't have S-video as shown on p. 101.

The image and audio comes thru the camcorder fine on any setting on the TV using inputs L1, L2 or channel. Just can't record to tape.

A note. When I switch camcorder to Camera the camcorder screen goes black but I can press the red record button and the tape captures a black screen.
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #4
New Boot

There is a menu setting that needs to be set to analog in. Its in the vcr set up menu on-screen but I can't remember where. Maybe you don't have that set to analog?
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i had to do this last week and needed a refresher from the manual to figure it out.

in the menu enable the av->dv option. this will enable you to see the image from your vcr on your gl2. i don't have my camera here, but there is a record/av insert (i think) button with the handle controls. when you hit that, it will put the camera in record/pause mode. then you just hit the playback button to start recording the signal to your dv tape. i found it a kind of odd procedure.

harry
Harry Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks, everyone. Was able to capture and complete my project.
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I tried to use the AV input to record what an IR camera lens was seeing recently and could not get any image or audio to record. I see from Harry's post about the AV Insert but there is no way to hit playback on this camera lens.

How would you record a what a camera lens is seeing into the GL-2 using the AV input or is it even possible?

Thanks
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

the video signal from the ir camera should show up on the ldc on the gl2. check if the av out on the ir camera is set up correctly. i am not sure if you can tape it (edit: just noticed i posted you could but i haven't done it in forever), but you can also go firewire into the computer from the gl2 and you can view the ir's video right on the computer screen. then you could just capture to the computer directly and not have to tape it to minidv first.
hope this helps
harry
Harry Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Harry.

We checked the IR camera source with a Sony TRV-11 and we were able to record the IR there.

I'll try the firewire trick and see what happens.
Jesse James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders