May Have Missed My Chance... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Closed Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #1
Tourist

May Have Missed My Chance...

I am taking off for costa rica next month and really want to make a small documentary there. I am very interested in the Canon GL2 and saw it on www.USAPhotoNation.com for $949 with the $250 rebate. Now a week later, there price is $1,399 with rebate it is now $1149. Did I miss my chance at such a good price? Most other places on the web it is well above that price.
Also what are the most important accessories to take with me (extra batteries, wide lens, light, new mic etc.) I know these are all great to have but Im on a limited budget, any suggestions would be great!
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:17 AM   #2
Fred Retread

reality check

The price you think you missed and even the price you think you can get now are come-ons for suckers. Check out that seller at resellerratings.com.

To check the current legitimate price for a GL2 from a world class discounter, look at b&hphotovideo.com. Shop around if you wish, but if you find it for a few percent less you will likely get less professionalism in the transaction, including pressure to buy extras and/or backordered shipments.
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #3
Wrangler

Joneyel: First, welcome to DVinfo.net!

Regarding USAphotoNation... doesn't a lowball price like that raise any red flags for you? Or are you searching for that elusive "free lunch"? Pay a visit to resellerratings.com; they track customer satisfaction with online vendors. Do you suppose there's a reason why the 172 people who rated this company gave it a score of less than 1 on a scale of 1 to 10?:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8278.html

How can you avoid ending up 90% unhappy with you experience like these people? Purchase from one of DVinfo's sponsors:

http://dvinfo.net/sponsors/index.php

They have been carefully chosen and screened so you may buy with confidence that the prices are fair and you'll get good service if there are any problems. But beyond that, they make this site possible. Check the current prices through these vendors and also take a realistic look at your overall budget. Don't spend all your money on the camera itself. Audio gear, camera bag, a good tripod, enough battery power, software, memory, hard drive space and many other things are just as important to your final project.

If the GL-2 is a stretch for you then you may need to consider less expensive camera options.
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #4
Tourist

thanks guys I feel a bit silly now thinking I had found a great price.
I think I will take a look at some cheaper cameras that will still do the job.
Any suggestions for under $1000?

Joneyel
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:56 AM   #5
Wrangler

Joneyel,

Here's the direct link to the DVinfo sponsors page. You'll find outstanding value for dollar with any of these carefully selected sponsors:

http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/index.php

Enjoy your travels!
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:31 AM   #6
New Boot

I'm sorry, I'm sure the sponsors are great but they're not MY sponsors so: I recommend you do a little more shopping. You can find a GL2 and other things for at least a couple hundred less than B&H (although I do buy from them for some things). Check out beach camera. I got a GL2 there for $1900 before the rebate. They are rated well in customer reviews and I had a flawless experience with them.
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:47 AM   #7
Wrangler

We all have different experiences. I went to Beach Camera in person several years ago. When I got there, I found that the price I was quoted on the phone the previous day had gone up $100. Having made the trip, I swallowed my pride and made the purchase anyway. But while I was there I got a high pressure sales pitch for overpriced junky filters, a camera bag, and tapes that cost much more than the same thing at WalMart.

Beach will not be getting any more of my business. Our sponsors make it possible for you to participate on this site at no charge. Please show your appreciation by considering them for your purchases. Frankly, you won't do much better at any other authorized dealers.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders