New GL1 - How Much? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 25th, 2002, 01:57 AM   #1
Outer Circle

New GL1 - How Much?

How much does a new GL1 sell for, today? Thanks.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 06:38 AM   #2
Warden

I haven't seen any new ones in the US in several months. I'm sure there might be a few still floating around. Did you mean GL2, Frank? Someone posted that he had been to Hong Kong recently and shops there had lots of GL1s.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 07:02 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I'm not sure you can get a new GL1. There may be a few mom-n-pop stores scattered around that still have one in inventory, but I have a feeling they'll charge full retail.

Used, they fetch a good price (for the seller), around $1200 to $1600 here in the U.S.

Try our sponsors Zotz, Pro-Tape and ZGC but I doubt they have any GL1's left.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 04:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I ended up getting a very-low-hours GL1 for $1575 on eBay, which seems about average. Seen'em go for $1500, but more often in the $1600-$1625 range. Onecall.com SAYS they've got factory refurbs for $1639, but I left'em an email to notify me when they get those in stock 2 weeks ago, and haven't yet heard back.

Blake

http://members.aol.com/bhaber/
Blake Haber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 05:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My error:

Onecall.com DID email me to inform me they had the unit in stock. Somehow the email slipped by me.

They sent me this link for the product:

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDisplay.mpt?ProductID=16900&PMNID=106

Sorry,

Blake
Old October 25th, 2002, 08:00 PM   #6
Outer Circle

Thanks. No, I do mean the GL1, and a new one. A friend of mine has a brand new one he's thinking of selling. I thought it was used, buy he's only got 2 minutes on it. The 2 minutes was just to check it when he got it. I just wanted to get an idea of the price he should ask for it.
Old October 25th, 2002, 08:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

He should ask $1600.

b
Old October 26th, 2002, 12:53 AM   #8
Outer Circle

Thanks!
Old October 27th, 2002, 01:10 PM   #9
New Boot

This is in regaurd to onecall, I posting the same thing on another topic, But i thought i should put it here too, since you guys are talking about onecall.

Onecall.com offers gl-1's but I need to warn you.
I ordered a optura 100mc from them, refurbished. It had a hot pixel on the ccd. I was like, Ok i wanted to upgrade to the gl-1 anyways, so i send them more money for a gl-1. After sending out the money order I get on a msg board and a guy tells me he has gone through onecall for his gl-1 and they sent him one with a hot pixel. So he returned it, only to get ANOTHER gl-1 with hot pixel. I have yet to get MY gl-1 I will let you know how it goes. If it shows up with a hot pixel I am going to realize that ALL of these refurbished gl-1's they have contain these defects, and I am going to DEMAND my money back. Even tho their return policy says store credit only, I will demand my money back. From the outside oncall looks like a decent place but as im getting deeper and deeper into them its smelling more and more like poop!
Tylar Mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 03:20 AM   #10
Outer Circle

I never, ever recommend that place. If you want a GL1, why not buy my buddy's. It only has 2 head minutes on it. No hot pixel either.
Old October 28th, 2002, 03:53 PM   #11
New Boot

The thing is, Onecall has my money allready!
They called me this morning after i sent them an anrgy email, and the sales person assured me that all of the gl's do not have hot pixels, Ill be the judge of that! mine better work perfect.
Old October 30th, 2002, 03:47 AM   #12
New Boot

Well, here it is oct 29th, I have my gl-1 and... IT HAS A HOT PIXEL, YEs thats right folks, I am really pissed off. Even though onecall checked the cam before sending it to me, I spotted a hot pixel on the lcd within the first 10 seconds, And it was easy to see on the tv. So i called onecall right away and the sales person sounded shocked, that I got another defective camera. So here I am sending back another camera. LEts hope my next one works.
This is some bullshit if you ask myy, I find it hard to belive that this guy who checked the cam could not spot this hot pixel right in the middle of the ccd, I mean come on man!
Old October 30th, 2002, 12:12 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I am VERY happy to say that I received my eBay-purchased GL1 today, and it truly seems to be in perfect condition. It even came with the seller's original purchase receipt.

It arrived in full-auto, LP, Normal mode, and seems untouched, making it seem highly likely that the guy really did only shoot two tapes' worth on it.

I've tested it out and it runs perfectly and has NO HOT PIXELS! Yay!

So, not all eBay camcorder purchases are scams. At least one of them isn't!

I paid $1575. I've seen'em go for $1475, seen'em go for $1625.... this one even came with a UV filter that the seller hadn't mentioned, a $17.00 bonus!

B
Old October 30th, 2002, 04:35 PM   #14
New Boot

I am happy for you.
Be sure to check the cam for hot pixels by leaving the lens cap on and hooking it up to a large tv. Mine was very faint, but I could notice it right away. I myself sent off my camcorder to onecall AGAIN, And If the next one is defective I am getting in contact the the BBB. If anyone has gone through something simmilar to what im going through and can offer some advice I would be thankful.
Old October 30th, 2002, 04:49 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I know all about the hot pixel nightmare. I once rented a GL1, shot a wedding on it, then found that most of the reception (low light) had two hot pixels I couldn't see on the viewscreens.

In the NLE I had to copy the track, blur it, then create a matte for the two pixels to play the blur through to hide it. This literally added HUNDREDS of rendering hours on my P3 667.

b
Blake Haber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders