Oh the noise! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Oh the noise!

I've had my GL2 for about two years. Right out of the box the tape transport was very noisey when the tape was loaded or the heads engaged or disengaged. Is this normal with the GL2 or do I have a lemon? Kind of embarrasing when shooting an event and need to change tapes. Otherwise, I couldn't be happier with it.

Kent
Kent Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Interesting. I guess I have nothing to compare it to, except consumer grade Canons. I mean, it's really relative. I suppose I could say that I would be very uncomfortable changing tapes during a church service, but on a normal day, at a birthday, I wouldn't think that something was "wrong" with it. I wouldn't hear it over the laughter of small children, say.

My final two cents: it doesn't have a soft touch, no. It whines and pops when the compartment opens. It is too loud to change tapes during wedding vows or "moments of silence."

DJ

Last edited by DJ Kinney; June 14th, 2005 at 09:40 PM.
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mine makes the same noise. I have a CHEAP Sony that makes less noise.

Steve
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #4
New Boot

I havent noticed any excessive noise from mine, even in wuiet situations.
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #5
Major Player

I am convinced that my XM1 became noisier after a service. This is true of both the load/unload cassette whirrs and whines, and also the tape transport noise. The L audio track now has a constant whine at around 1.5kHz.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Same thing with my XM2. Noisy load/unload tape. Exactly the same noise as with a low end Canon MV550i (pal ZR50MC) I had earlier. So I believe it is common for Canon cameras to make some noise during the load/unload tape.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #7
Major Player

I have an XM2 - very noisy mechanism, indeed. Is not the first time I read this question. The answers are the same, too. :)
Old June 14th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I picked up my camera from service last week (not official Canon, but broadcast equipment service) due to famous REMOVE THE CASSETTE message. Paid 89 Euros for repair, and must say that camera makes less noise on power-on and eject operations than before. Also, it seems to me that mechanism runs much smoother than before.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders