ExpoDisc White Balance Filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 12th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ExpoDisc White Balance Filter

I shoot weddings/receptions I move around quite a bit and lighting is always a problem constantly changes from room to room. You would be surprised how many different types of combined lighting sources I find installed in just one room sometimes. Under these circumstances I often find the WB presets on my camera are not useable I'm forced to manually WB. I need something that's quick and easy to manually WB my GL2 or I will lose the shot. It's fairly awkward to use a card sometimes I have white balanced off the brides dress or a napkin when desperate.
However using mixed sources to WB is not the best I’d like something that provides a more consistent source for WB when moving from room to room. I’m hoping it would make any POST color correction easier.

Anybody use one of these? (ExpoDisc 58mm Digital White Balance Filter)
is it really worth the money.
They make it sound fast and easy.
B&H sells the for around $79.00

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Thanks for input
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

filters

Steve,

The advice to put the wide angle directly is correct. for every filter you add the focal length of the wide angle is changed. As one person said, use of the zoom rectified the problem. If you want it as wide angle as possible filters should go on the colse up lens.
I shoot primarily wildlife. It is bright here most of the the time. I use a Uv over the lens all the time and I also use the polarizing lens on that. these two with the neutral density in the camera covers about 80 oercent of my shooting. A second neutral density filter would be useful for the remaining 20%

dale Guthormsen
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

clicked wron message

Sorry it is the wrong response!!!

Dale
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Using a lens cap white balance filter is very much like using an incident light meter. To be used correctly the whitebalance lens cap it must be in the same physical position as your subject will be when your record. Like the incident light meter for photographers, it will react to the light falling upon it. A white card measures reflected light. You place the card where the subject will be and the camera at its shooting position and balance.

Both methods are acceptable. Both measure light slightly differently. Most good photographers will use the incident meter in the belief it is more accurate. Bottom line, measure the light where the subject will be.
Old September 16th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #5
New Boot

White Balance

I have the same problem. I also shoot weddings, but this weekend I shot a big sweet sixteen party. The girl was wearing a purple dress. It showed up blue on my screen and my computer. I thought it was just the dress but I tried to focus on other purples and they looked blue. Every other color was was fine except the purples. The white balance was done manually and I even had the problem when I went automatic. I tried white balancing on anything white I could find. I think I balanced at least 8 times and could never get the settings right. I dont have a balance sheet or anything like that. Any suggestions.
Oscar Sanchez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders