Monopod as a stabilizer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monopod as a stabilizer?

Been asked last minute to do my friend's wedding. I'm not quite prepared for it since I sold most of my accessories. Anyone tried using this method before? Economy is tough, I can't afford the glidecams. 8^)

I do have a Manfrotto 682B. The bottom of the monopod is heavy enough. Hope it helps soften the bumps as I walk about. And when my arms get tired, I can set it down. hehe! What do you think? Will it work? Thanks for you thoughts. Good or bad. 8^)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/5495.jpg
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Joe- I shoot lots of weddings. My monopod is one of my most valuable tools. Extend it all the way for smooth overhead boom shots, turn it upside down for low angle walking shots, or just use it straight up. The biggest challenge I have is keeping it still for a long time during the vows.
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you have a head with a tilt handle, this is what I did last time: Colapsed it, and stuck the end to my belt, one hand on the handle, the other holding the monopod right beneath the head or the camera itself, and there you have a cheap, no DIY stabilizer system... but you have to get the length right for comfort. I am short, so I had to extend one section for certrain shots. My unipod has a shoulder strap and I used that as well to keep it even steadier.

I hope I could explain it and it made sense... I'll post a picture when I get home...
Hameed Aabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've also got the 682B and I've used it as a stabilizer but like you said, it is heavy. Hell, I've used it as a stabilizer, tripod, crane, and even a monopod. Should be fine for your job.
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the helpful repies. I'm here at Cancun and the wind at the beach is pretty steady at 15 mph. So I'll to baby sit the 682B even with the mini tripods out. I did a dry run a while ago and as far as I can, it's pretty steady when I walk with it. Much better than without. Tomorrow is the big day so all I have to worry about is the wind noise on the lapel mic (which can be easily remedied).
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameed Aabid View Post
If you have a head with a tilt handle, this is what I did last time: Colapsed it, and stuck the end to my belt, one hand on the handle, the other holding the monopod right beneath the head or the camera itself, and there you have a cheap, no DIY stabilizer system... but you have to get the length right for comfort. I am short, so I had to extend one section for certrain shots. My unipod has a shoulder strap and I used that as well to keep it even steadier.

I hope I could explain it and it made sense... I'll post a picture when I get home...
That sounds like a Do It Yourself version of the Davis & Sanford Steady Stick.
Richard Amirault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

^ Yes....Pretty much...
Hameed Aabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Re: Monopod as a stabilizer?

I have used mine tucked in a small waist bag or the waist band of pants/belt to steady. and the strap around my shoulder under my arm. Works great for me! My tri pod is used more than any other item I own.
Steve Olds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders