Lens question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 7th, 2002, 07:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Lens question

I'm looking to get a filter for the GL2. I'm interested in one that can stay on for protection, with minimal distortion.

I'm looking at the B + W 58mm filters. The choices (regular, not slim) I've been looking at so far include the following:

strong UV haze 415 glass filter;
UV haze 010 (MRC) Multi Resistant Coating glass filter;
UV haze 010 glass filter; or
UV haze 010 flass filter extra wide.

Does anyone have recommendations as to which filter best meets my needs?

Stephen
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 04:02 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Get a slim line. It might be closer to the lense thus less reflection and distortion.

I didn't know they have so many variations of the UV 010.

Maybe this one?

UV haze 010 glass filter

or a Heliopan UV? (slim line)

But what's wrong with a Cokin or Hoya? For a UV protection filter for a video cam, you don't have to go with the most expensive.

[IMG]www.dvfreak.com/filters.htm[/IMG]
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 08:07 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm not familiar with either the Cokin or the Hoya. How do they compare to the B + W or Heliopan in terms of distortion?
Old November 9th, 2002, 11:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use Hoya filters for my Canon 35mm SLR and I see no distortion in my film.

I havn't tried any Cokin though.
Jim Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 11:45 PM   #5
Outer Circle

B+W and Heliopan are both owned by the same company, and both use the same German glass. No difference.

I have Cokin filters, and I like them better than the Heliopans, B+Ws, Nikons etc. I've heard that Hoya filters are also very good. Regarding specialty filters, that's more subjective and another story.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2002, 07:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Is there a difference in distortion/video quality between multicoated filters versus regular filters?
Old November 10th, 2002, 08:45 AM   #7
Warden

The difference varies from nominal to extreme. Your safest bet is to always use a multi coated filter unless you can guarantee with 100% certainty your lighting conditions. Single coated filters will show varying degrees of flair the more you point your lens toward a bright light source. Single coated filters also tend not to be manufactured to the same standards as the more expensive multi coated filters. Bottom line , best investment and most bang for the buck, multi coated filters.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 12:19 PM   #8
Major Player

I have the multi-coated B+W and it lives on my GL2. I avoided the slimline becase it does not have threads on the external side so the lens cap would not stay on unless you by a new lens cover.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 01:43 PM   #9
Trustee

Yeah I got the slimline Heliopan UV and I have that problem with the lenscap, staying on, but the stupid clip on the cap presses up against the lens - and yeah it does mark the filter :(. Even with the non-slim Heliopan the same problem occured, so I just stuck with the slim one. I will need to get another cap, or I will put a thin layer of felt on it.
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders