GL2 questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 8th, 2002, 12:30 PM   #1
Ray Danders

GL2 questions

I have only owned a video camera for 2 years and for the last year I owned a TRV900. Since I dropped it in a river, it isn’t working too well so I have decided to buy another camera. I have spent a considerable amount of time researching the various cameras and have just about reached a decision.

Yesterday I was about to order a vx 2000 when a friend of mine called and suggested that I look at a Canon GL2. I am looking to use the camera for the most part in the outdoors for wildlife filming. I also own a Sony 707 digital camera that has a 58mm lens that complicates matters somewhat because of using the same memory device and being familiar with the format.

With the GL2, can I search frame by frame and copy that frame onto the memory disc and save that frame as a jpg file as a still picture similar to the way I can with my old Sony TRV 900. I am aware that I can take higher definition stills if I switch the GL2 to a camera mode.

This seems like a simple question, but I am not sure of the answer. I want a good wide angle lens and am considering a Century Optics .65 wide angle converter. First will this lens work on my digital Sony 707? Second is the bayonet mount a better choice or are there other options? If I understand it correctly I can use the .65 converter with the zoom, at least on the vx-2000. Will it work the same on the GL2?

Even though I want this new camera like yesterday, I can wait for a while, especially if there is a new Sony replacement for the vx2000 on the horizon.

Thanks

Ray Danders

P. S. This is a very nice site.
Old November 8th, 2002, 01:42 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Ray,

<< I am looking to use the camera for the most part in the outdoors for wildlife filming. >>

In that case I think you'll be very happy with the optical 20x zoom on the GL2. Longest telephoto available on any 3-chip DV camcorder. The low-end range of the digital zoom (at 40x) is very, very good for being digital zoom. Even the 100x digital zoom on this thing doesn't look too bad.

<< With the GL2, can I search frame by frame and copy that frame onto the memory disc and save that frame as a jpg file >>

Yes -- you sure can.

<< I want a good wide angle lens and am considering a Century Optics .65 wide angle converter >>

Consider the Canon WD-58H. It's less exepensive plus it's a full zoom-through adapter.

<< will this lens work on my digital Sony 707? >>

Not sure about that... maybe someone else will know. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 04:59 PM   #3
Ray Danders

Thanks Chris I e-mailed Zotz Camera and Brian helped me get answeres to the other questions I had. Your advice on the Canon wide angle will save me a couple of hundred dollars also.

I appreciate your help and hope I can return the favor sometime. Brian's prices are in line also, so he will get my business. The screw in lenes will work on both of my camera's as they are both 58mm, but I cannot use the bayonet mount as it is made just for the GL2.

In a few months I will be ready to consider a video editing program. Thanks again.
Old November 8th, 2002, 08:47 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

<< The screw in lenes will work on both of my camera's as they are both 58mm, but I cannot use the bayonet mount as it is made just for the GL2. >>

Good point -- I hadn't thought of that.

<< In a few months I will be ready to consider a video editing program. >>

That's another favorite topic around here, anytime.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders