Has the GL2 Forum died? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 9th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Has the GL2 Forum died?

Its been awhile since I have visited the site, but i was kinda sad to see the last post in the GL forum was weeks ago. Although I have also upgraded my cameras to HDV and SD...I still find the quality of theGL video astonishing. Most my stuff is for web so my GL2 works great esp when rendered at a high bit rate.
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

As long as Canon USA lists the GL2 as a current product,
this forum will remain open. That camcorder has had the
most enduring longevity of any model in the market.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It's kind of funny...I sold both of me GL2's to buy a Panisonic HMC40 a few months ago. I kind of miss them. Most of my stuff is for DVD or web. I found the GL's quick and simple to use - and edit.

In my opinion, I don't think we see a lot on here because they are so easy to use - and seldom give a person any trouble. For me, they were real, solid, work horses.

No doubt about it, they are great cameras.
Tom Dickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Wrangler

Also, folks with GL-specific question can probably find the answer using search faster that waiting for a reply. And today's GL users are likely serious users, not newbes in need of hand holding. Most of those folks are probably buying the new AVCHD machines.
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #5
Major Player

I'd like to note, that I still use my GL1 as a deck for DV projects, and as a fourth camera occasionally. Still works. No dead pixels...no scratches on the glass.

The only problem is that the LCD screen only works when it's flipped forward or pinned to the side facing out. :)

Still, pretty good mileage.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Major Player

The forum may not be dead, but my original GL1 power supply/charger died Saturday morning (right before a wedding shoot) after having served me quite well for 11 years. It was starting to show signs of major wear though, as the camera charger part would barely stay plugged into the charger itself.

Fortunately, it and my XL1s charger are interchangeable!
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Interesting........ I was shooting my GL1 along with 2 GL2 cams at a wedding in Texas and the GL1 fell from the tripod, don't ask, and fell from a second floor balcony to the wood floor below. Hit on the 3 hour Canon battery. After the initial hit, the battery fell off and the bayonet mount 16:9 anamorphic lens popped off..... The battery must have taken a major part of the shock............... because....
I picked up the GL1, put the lens back on, put in a new 1 hour battery, and to my surprise it still worked!!! Captured the footage and it is now part of the wedding video.
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Re: Has the GL2 Forum died?

excellent! im still using.. and just got a 2nd. Cant wait to get filming.. im now hunting for peoples tips on 2 camera shooting and .. chromakey settings.. and trying to sus out what exactly hd upscaling software does my heed is battered!
I just know hd has more pixels/ lines.. where as these sd cams have less.. BUT.. avi files contain more info than needed.. so theroetically an upscaled HD from an sd GM2 cam should look be better than SD footage that has not been upscaled?!?
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #9
Wrangler

Re: Has the GL2 Forum died?

An upscaled SD image contains no additional real information, just what ever interpolations and artifacts the scaling software adds. These may be acceptable, even pleasing, or they bomb. It all depends on the quality of the scaling, the original footage, the ultimate viewing system, and the viewers expectations.

If the intent is to produce an HD end product you are generally better off using a HD (or HDV) camera.

Recommend you run some tests with your gear and typical client viewing systems to see what works and fits into your work flow.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders