GL2 rebate extended -- again? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 1st, 2005, 07:28 AM   #1
Inner Circle

GL2 rebate extended -- again?

Just noticed that the rebate at B&H now runs through Sept. 30. Didn't it previously expire on July 30?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:56 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, and it has previously expired a number of times before... I've lost count!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM   #3
New Boot

Does the continuation of the rebate mean that they are pushing back the release of a new model?
Ben Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

That's the million dollar question. People have been predicting the imminent release of a GL3 for months, but that hope seems to be fading by the day.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM   #5
New Boot

i'm in the market for another camera, but i can wait a bit. i got my GL1 about a month before the GL2 was released.
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM   #6
Old Boot

Ben? Tell me when you are buying your XM2 and I'll wait a month? Yeah? Deal? - Thanks!

Cool! I got notifacation now . . how COOL was THAT? Yeah?

"How YOU doing?" ( Joey Trib. great actor, great teller of jokes and after dinner speaker! )

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I would think that every day that goes by is one day closer to an HDV camera from Canon, but they will probably extend the rebate again. Who knows?!
I was about to get another GL2 at the end of June, I think, because the rebate was about to be over. Then, it got extended...apparently not for the first time, I see.
I wish I knew what to do because I'm not wanting to spend my money on another GL2 and then have an HD model released right after that. It will be a while before I have the money for another camera so I can't make a mistake. It'll work out if I do, but dang! :)
I am wringing my hands.
- John
John Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:51 PM   #8
Old Boot

I got another XM2 as backup last Sept 05. In the meantime it HAS made its money - double shoots; two camera requiremenet 1: Talking Head on tripod in lightinging setup 2: Wandering about with DVRigPro ; One set with wide angle and the other without. AND the reasssurance that I have a backup on a PAID shoot.

One day nearer? Onday LESS having to fork OUT all the added EXTRAS for HD - more power fr my pc; learning curve for editing workflow understanding . . .there are some payoffs . . .

Dang! I wanna HD setup! NOW!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:01 AM   #9
New Boot

if you're looking for another camera in order to get 2-camera shoots then a new HDV model may not be the best option. i would think that you would have a hard time matching sd footage from a gl2 and hdv footage from a (hypothetical) gl3. just a thought. personally, i'm hoping the new camera will drive down prices on the gl2.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:24 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I believe matching footage could be done two ways: by downgrading to SD or shooting in SD instead HD, or by shooting in HD and then using an editor to move within the HD frame to convert to SD (if that's possible).
Colors would be a concern also, but it may be fine even if I have to color-correct in FCP. Hmmm...
- John
John Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 03:08 PM   #11
New Boot

If the camera will allow you to choose whether to shoot in hd or sd then its no problem (i don't know if thats a feature on other hdv cameras-but i assue it is). if not, that seems like a lot of hassle. of course, you could always just get 2 of the new model :-)
Ben Saunders is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders