Camera won't turn on in Camera mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 21st, 2005, 11:43 AM   #1
New Boot

Camera won't turn on in Camera mode

Hi folks,

I was filming some boat races today when after about 10 mins of recording the camera turns off. I tried turning it back on, but it will only go on in VCR Playback mode. I tried putting in another tape and still it won't turn on in camera mode. I can see the light turn green when I switch to VCR Playback, but there is no light when I switch it to Camera mode. Something is terribly wrong. I need help.

- Justin
Justin Nalepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM   #2
Fred Retread

You may need factory service. But sometimes computer controlled devices get their signals crossed. There's a chance that your cam circuitry is "locked up" in a weird state, and maintained in that state by the backup battery (inside the LCD hatch). Try removing that for several minutes.
Old August 21st, 2005, 03:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Moved Lever to Pause?

Hope you don't find this suggestion insulting. I only mention it because I have been there and done that. There is one step you did not mention. Did you also move the lock/standby lever to standby? The green light will not come on in camera mode until you do so.
Old August 21st, 2005, 03:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Same thing happend to me once.

Had to get the standby/lock lever replaced.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Reason for Replacement

Trond,
Need clarification. Did you have to replace the lever because it broke on its own, or did it break because you took out your frustration on it, after initially forgetting it had to be turned from lock to standby? Just trying to read between the lines of your reply!

Mike Donley
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Mike:

It worked one day, and the next day it did not. It turned out that the lever could move just a little on it's own, and therefore was not in the standby possition even if it seemd to be.

I had not used that lever at all before it happend.
The repair was covered by Canon warranty. (The camera was 1 year 11months when it happend.)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Assuming that it's not the lever, the camera was shooting by the water. "Boat races." So I am going to say that it could have some moisture, or a short, in the slider switch itself. This has happened before and a faulty slider has been the stated cause of the "it spontaneously shuts itself off" issue.

Take some alcohol on a q-tip, make sure ALL of the batteries are out, then get some alcohol under the switch. Slide it back and forth to clean it and then let it dry.

Alcohol will aid in the evaporation of the water or moisture, and will not cause a short itself (if given enough time to evaporate).

It's a possibility. As I've said, I've heard of those switches being prone to trouble.
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders