DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 LOST at Canon Service Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/49993-gl2-lost-canon-service-center.html)

Tague Hurley August 25th, 2005 01:26 PM

GL2 LOST at Canon Service Center

I took my GL2 into the Irvine service center over a month ago before I left on a trip to Europe. Since I live close by I told them to keep it once it was serviced and Id come back and pick it up when I returned to California. Well a month went by, I checked on the status of my camera online. The website said my camera was done and I owed 240 dollars. Perfect, exactly as planned. Went in to pick it up on a Monday. The first lady went looking, then came to check that she had the right name and was looking for the right camera, and disappeared again. Then the guy I orginally left the camera with took a shot at it and came back saying, "Tague you can go ahead and take off I'll give you a call when we find your camera." Well I've called back twice and they keep telling me to wait. It is Thursday now and I'm just wondering what y'all would do in this situation? Im not really worried. Either they will find the camera or I will get a replacement. The biggest problem I have is I have to shoot something today, and an even more important shoot coming up on Saturday. Should I be more pushy? do I deserve some kind of compensation? Just thought I'd share my situation.
Thanx

Jeremiah Rickert August 25th, 2005 03:49 PM

Compensation...

If they promised to have it done by a certain date...then I think they shouldn't charge you.

At the very least, you should see if they have a customer relations email on the canon usa website and contact them. It's amazing how far companies will go to make customers happy. (of course, it's amazing how far some of them go NOT to help you at times as well). I've had only good dealings with Canon though.

JR

Steve Nunez August 25th, 2005 04:08 PM

I agree- the perfect way of resolving this is to return the camera to you without charge for the repair- they lost it and you made attempts to get it back......would be nice if they recognized your loss of time and fixed it free of charge.

If they lost it- you should get a new unit.

Tague Hurley August 26th, 2005 09:39 AM

Quick Update

Called 3 times yesterday, my fourth day of waiting and wondering. Each time they told me we have notified our manager and he will call you to work something out. At 5:30 the manager called and apologized for the mishap. I was told in all his years at the job nothing like this has ever happened. However he felt that with enough time they would be able to track down my camera. I then asked him what I was supposed to do. I told him I needed to shoot this week, and normally shoot nearly every day. The best solution he could give me was that they had a GL1 I could borrow and I could come pick it up tomorrow. I told him that would work but I would obviously prefer to be using a GL2.

Ill be going to canon shortly to pick up the replacement GL1. Im etremely annoyed, and feel Im being ripped off some how.

that's my story, thanx for the previous comments/suggestions.

searching for my GL2,
Tague

Dennis Parker August 29th, 2005 05:54 AM

If they are still telling you it is missing as of today, I think you should go there and demand a replacement. This is unbelivable!!!

Donovan Kruger August 29th, 2005 07:41 AM

I wonder if this GL1 might be someone else's camera that is in there for repair? Maybe this is how your GL2 "disappeared"... they loaned it out to another customer waiting for a repair?

You wrote that "the website said it was done". Can you find out if the website was updated by the service center itself? If it is, then I would strongly question how they could say a camera is done for which they actually have no camera.

I think it is time to go to the next level above the manager who called you and demand a replacement camera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tague Hurley
[...]The best solution he could give me was that they had a GL1 I could borrow and I could come pick it up tomorrow.[...]

Steve Nunez August 29th, 2005 09:15 AM

Although I'd be pissed- I wouldn't worry too much- I'm sure you're gonna get a new GL2 out of this if your unit remains unfound.

Canon has an excellent reputation for customer support- sadly these things happen- I wouldn't hold a grudge against Canon- let's just hope they realize enough time has passed and it's time for you to get a replacement unit.

Keep us posted.
(Good luck)

Ash Greyson August 29th, 2005 02:35 PM

WAY too patient... ask for the managers supervisor, be it regional or whatever. If that doesnt work call Canon headquarters. At this point you will only accept your camera back at NO cost or a new unit. I cant believe how many people let these businesses roll over on them.

I recently had Sears refuse to repair a washer under warranty... when I called all the local news affiliates and told them I was going to be chained to the front door of Sears and to call the manager to find out why, suddenly, they honored the warranty (an extended warranty I PAID for)

STICK IT BACK TO THE MAN!!

ash =o)

Mathieu Ghekiere August 30th, 2005 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I recently had Sears refuse to repair a washer under warranty... when I called all the local news affiliates and told them I was going to be chained to the front door of Sears and to call the manager to find out why, suddenly, they honored the warranty (an extended warranty I PAID for)

STICK IT BACK TO THE MAN!!

ash =o)

You're nuts, Ash... seriously
Héhé, but I like it ;-)
Best regards,
(great story :-p)

Tague Hurley August 30th, 2005 02:32 PM

The Saga Continues

It has been 8 days since they first told me my camera is missing. I've been to the repair center twice and made countless phone calls. Last friday they did give me a replacement GL1 which had a sticker on it that said "refurbished". The camera was in fine condition but I was very unfamliar with it and obviously prefer shooting with my GL2. I've already made my usual morning call to the manager but he was "busy, and would call back later".

Based on my own frustration, damage to business, and your comments I've decided to request a new unit by tomorrow. First that seems to be the only way I can shoot with a GL2 tomorrow, since they have no loaner GL2s. Also I'm wary of accepting my previous camera or a refurbished camera because I think that would be unfair at this point. Who knows where my camera has been, who knows what the refurbished camera has been through. Frankly my camera was in perfect condition and I simply took it in for a routine headcleaning and service. If anybody has phone numbers for canon big wigs that they think I should call I would appreciate it. Im really sick of this and NEED a GL2 to shoot with this week. Thanx again for all your comments. Ill keep you all informed.

Eric Brown August 30th, 2005 11:43 PM

Tague, Ash has got the right idea. Sometimes you have to be a complete maniac to get stuff done. You are headed in the right direction by shooting for the higher ups as well. Make a BIG noise, my man, You'll get some response.
Sorry, I'm not in La Jolla. I'd have been more than happy to help out and operate with my XL2 for you.
Hope all works out.

Chris Hurd August 31st, 2005 12:15 AM

Very generous of you Eric, you're a good man.

For Tague, I think you should start looking for fellow GL2 owners who might be willing to loan their camera or operate for you... try posting in our Helping Hands section. You need to find someone like Eric who's in your area.

Meanwhile if I were you, I'd call every day to check the status of your case. Be very, very polite. And be persistant. Good luck,

Tague Hurley August 31st, 2005 12:48 AM

More Waiting

The manager whose name is Doug, never called back today. I called again at the end of the day and spoke to the customer service telephone operator named Shandra. This is the third operator I've spoken to, and definately the least helpful. She first told me Doug still couldn't speak to me, and there was nothing she could do. She asked me to wait until thursday, at which time the manager will call me to work something out. I was taken aback at first. I asked her if that meant I could expect a GL2 by Thursday. She said no, it just meant he would talk to me then. I then asked if she could give me his direct line. She couldn't. My last simple question was if she could give me the number to Doug's supervisor. Again she could not do this. The whole time I imagined Doug jumping around in front of her desk mouthing the words, "tell him I'm not here!" She kept asking me to be patient and at least give him until Thursday, JUST two more days. In the end I wasted another day trying to retrieve MY camera, that I was planning on paying them to service. Now it seems they have stolen my camera and really don't want to give it back. They have expressed very little sympathy for my unlucky situation. I feel helpless to the point that I'd like to hire a lawyer, I have no idea what my rights are at this point, and I'm sure I deserve more than this. I found the Canon USA phone number which I believe is for the building right next door to the canon service center in Irvine. 949-753-4000. Ill try that tomorrow. Other than that I will not be shooting with my GL2 tomorrow, I think ill take the day off and go surfing.

Donovan Kruger August 31st, 2005 06:25 AM

Here is the corporate office contact information. Maybe you can get a hold of a supervisor this way.
Canon U.S.A., Inc.
One Canon Plaza
Lake Success, NY 11042
Phone: 516-328-5000

If you haven't heard from them by Thursday, consider the BBB process before contacting a lawyer. Document every call (date, time, name of contact) while they are still in your mind. Also document every lost assignment that resulted from a fair and reasonable expectation of having this equipment back in your hands as documented by their own status web page. Don't expect immediate results, so plan your GL2 needs accordingly.

http://www.bbb.org/complaint.asp

Better Business Bureaus accept complaints that meet the following criteria:

* The complaint includes the complainant's name and postal address;
* The complaint includes the company's name and provides sufficient information to determine the company's location. A mail address or phone number (except for toll-free numbers) will ordinarily be sufficient;
* The complaint seeks assistance from the Better Business Bureau;
* The complaint is from a customer, or the customer's authorized representative, of the company complained about. Authorized representatives include lawyers and guardians or caretakers who are filing on behalf of minor children, the elderly, or persons with disabilities;
* The complaint relates to a marketplace issue (see below for a list of complaints we cannot handle);
* The complaint alleges a problem experienced with the services or products that the company provided or agreed to provide;
* The complaint is not in litigation and has not been resolved by a previous court action, arbitration, or settlement between the parties; and
* The complaint contains no abusive language.

Chris Hurd August 31st, 2005 06:52 AM

Also, Tague, if I were you, I'd return that GL1 to them immediately. The longer you hang on to it, the stronger their argument becomes that you've accepted it as a replacement, which from their point of view would mean that this case is resolved. That's not what you want, so take the GL1 back today and tell them that you won't settle for anything less than your camera or a properly functioning replacement GL2. And just as important, make sure that you get a receipt of some kind that proves that you've returned the GL1. An old GL1 is no substitute for your GL2 and having it in your posession only weakens your position. Take it back today.

Ash Greyson August 31st, 2005 03:21 PM

Take the GL1 back, they have your property and wont return it. I would call the police and get them involved. At this point they owe you your GL2 back PLUS compensation for lost work (keeping the GL1 makes this harder to claim but you can say you accepted it under duress) They also are now RENTING your camera from you at a rate of $75 a day. At 9 days that is already $675 and GROWING.

I would call every number and let them know this is the last call before you seek an attorney and you will seek damages far exceeding the cost of the camera. I would at the very least file a fraud report with the local police and the state attorney general.

http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/mailform.htm

Make sure you drop off a copy of all the complains to the service center so they know how screwed they are.

If it were me, I would seriously be chained to their door...ar at the very least picketing.

ash =o)

Tague Hurley September 2nd, 2005 06:08 PM

The End...

Well, I haven’t updated here in a couple days because it became apparent that Canon was reading this board, and I didn’t want to say anything more that might anger them or jeopardize the "NEW" GL2 that Doug promised me on Wednesday.

After I posted my previous post, obviously pissed off and having used names, Doug called me to clear some things up. On Wednesday he decided that it had been enough time and had searched high and low for a replacement GL2. He had ordered the GL2 and it would be shipped in from out of state by Thursday or Friday. I was happy finally there was light at the end of the tunnel. Doug clarified that the replacement camera was in fact "NEW" and even if MY camera turned up in the next couple days I would still be getting a "NEW" camera. He also mentioned that "unlike somebody mentioned online, the loaner GL1 I had in my possession was NOT somebody else's camera” Once he mentioned that he read this board I was very pleased and must thank everybody here who commented and I believe helped me get what I deserved, well almost...

So skip ahead to today Friday. Doug called around 1pm and said my new camera was ready for pick up and I could bring in the GL1. I arrived at the canon office in Irvine and talk to the first person available, another new face. This guy recognized my name and told me Chris Canada, the first person I talked to actually was waiting for me and wanted to talk to me. In the Past Chris had been the most helpful or at least the most trained in customer service and I felt comfortable talking with him. Unfortunately Chris walks out of the mysterious back room holding a GL2 in a plastic bag with a rubber band around it. He types something into his computer and says "First, we need to settle up the repair cost” He explained that although I didn’t get my camera the repair had still taken place and I owed something Like "400 dollars"....WHAT. I was immediately dumbfounded. First of all I clarified that I had only agreed the 240 dollar head cleaning fee and was never notified of some so called "sand damage” He went back and said he misspoke and I only owed 240.

I was so baffled, because here I am expecting a brand new camera in the original packaging and I definitely wasn’t ready to fork over 240 dollars so they could pay their technician, who as far as I know never even conducted the maintenance. After a little bickering Chris went into the back and returned awhile later telling me he had a "Deal" for me. They would take off 20% of the repair, and give me the battery that comes with the camera for free. I still wasn’t happy and was actually insulted that they still wanted to add insult to injury. They were trying to save their Asses and clearly did not want to compensate for any damages they caused me.

At this point I asked to speak to Doug, or Daniel (who I then learned was Doug's supervisor) Chris would not let me talk to Daniel, but Doug did come out to see what was the matter. Doug patiently told me they had done me a favor in lending me a camera, which "NO other company would have done" and that I should be happy to accept this brand new camera as compensation enough. He also told me other BS about how the GL1 wasn't THAT inferior to the GL2 and their technician needs to feed his family and they spent ALL this extra manpower trying to locate my camera. I was extremely pissed off at this point and continued to tell them I did not feel it was fair to pay 240 dollars after I had put up with all this crap for the past 2 weeks. I told him I had lost money because I had been unable to shoot with my GL2, and I felt the damage they had caused me far outweighed the 240 dollars I was asking them to overlook. After about 20 minutes of me arguing with Chris and Doug, Doug told me 50% off the repair and the free battery was the best he could do, and walked away.

I looked at the camera in front of me remembering that I need to shoot this weekend and 120 dollars was a lot better than 240, and said OK, I guess I'll take it. I felt defeated and cheated, but I was stuck, I didn’t want to deal with this BS anymore. Chris grabbed the battery from the back, which after a quick examination was clearly USED. I put the battery on the GL2, which to the eye looked unused. The only thing that was weird was the memory battery wasn’t in its little compartment under the LCD screen. Do those usually come installed? Or had they simply forgotten to put it in their effort to make sure I didn’t get anything more than I deserved. For example,
"Why don't I get a user's manual, and the other stuff Chris?"

"Because you didn't bring in a user's manual"

Well I'm at my office now; I have a GL2 and a new battery. It seems that my drama is over and I'm glad I don’t have to deal with those people. I can shoot tonight, so I'm going to stop complaining.

Final thoughts, I am so disgusted with canon and this whole fiasco that I am honestly looking to invest in the panny DVX100a as opposed to the XL2 which I had previously had my eye on.

Thanx again to everybody. And Doug if you are reading...enjoy my camera if you ever find it, it was a good camera.

Peace,
Tague

Steve Nunez September 2nd, 2005 06:36 PM

Well it was a headache for sure and I feel they shouldn't have tried to ask for the "repair" fee when there's no evidence of it having been done......BUT, Canon came through and got you a new GL2 which shows fair treatment. I had a GL2 and loved it....I'm glad this story ended up well.

Note to Canon: Us members here at the DVInfo net are aware of Canon's excellent reputation and I for one always look for Canon's offering in whatever digital device I'm considering purchasing....Having owned a GL2, XL1S, Eos 10D, Powershot Pro70 and now Rebel XT I'm a die-hard Canon fan- in large part because of their customer service. I just purchased a Sony FX1 because Canon has no offerings in the consumer HDV realm. So Canon don't forget your consumer base and we wont forget you.....I'm glad this ended well.

Now have fun!

Pete Bauer September 3rd, 2005 04:58 AM

Tague, glad you finally at least got a camera after all this. I've been quietly watching this thread to see how things played out, and I guess I am not so forgiving as Steve is.

Of course, the Canon Factory Service Center in Irvine is at a disadvantage because they aren't going to post here defending themselves or to say that "Tague is a lunatic and things didn't happen anything like what he said"...or whatever their side of the story may be. But frankly, Tague, the impression I got while following this saga was that you were WAY more patient about this than I would have been.

Nobody and no company is perfect; we all screw up now and then. But what happens after we screw up is one thing that may set us apart from the crowd. No doubt the Service Center in Irvine has many satisfied customers whose cameras DIDN'T get lost, but even if the saga was greatly embellished (and it doesn't read that way), the actions of some folks at that Center were pathetic.

My take...

Given that a customer dropped off a fully functional camera asking for routine periodic service like a head cleaning, and my employees:

- Managed to lose the camera
- Made the customer take an old out-of-production model camera as a loaner for 11 days
- Repeatedly failed to take phone calls
- Repeatedly refused access to a manager when requested
- Tried to make the customer pay for services never delivered (prima facia in this case -- the camera to be cleaned was never returned!)
- Handed the customer a replacement camera in a rubber-banded plastic bag

They would be very lucky to NOT work for Pete Bauer! Well, they probably wouldn't anyway, as somebody would likely be "looking for new opportunities," most specifically the immediate managers responsible for rectifying such unfortunate screw up situations.

A good way to handle a screw up like this?
Day 1:
- Apologize genuinely and profusely
- Overnight a new replacement camera to the customer's door
- Provide a voucher for free head cleaning next time, along with an assurance that it will be a better experience
- Investigate the breakdown in the system and ensure it is fixed
Day 2:
- Call the customer and make sure he/she has the new camera
- Profusely apologize again for the inconvenience and thank them for bearing with you

Expensive? No. The employee time wasted trying in vain to find a lost camera, giving the customer the run-around, and lost sales probably cost the company more than the new camera they ended up forking over anyway. And who knows, a manager who keeps his/her department running smoothly and remembers that current customers really ought to be future customers, too, might even impress his/her boss. ("Wow, he/she is enough of a leader to take an occasional shot to the shorts when someone under him/her screws up! Ready for advancement"). I wonder how many word-of-mouth and future sales Canon has lost because of the ill will created when Service jacked Tague around?

Anyway, Tague, I'd still recommend writing Canon USA a brief letter expecting at least a return of your "head cleaning fee" and an assurance that the problems the Service Center caused you will be addressed to ensure they don't recur.

K. Forman September 3rd, 2005 05:16 AM

"because it became apparent that Canon was reading this board, and I didn’t want to say anything more that might anger them or jeopardize the "NEW" GL2 that Doug promised me on Wednesday."

Screw them! You were the one who was out of $4,000, because they "lost" your camera. You were far more patient and understanding than I would have been! I'm just happy to hear it worked out in the end... aside from lost time, and not using your camera to earn a living.

Chris Hurd September 3rd, 2005 10:46 AM

Quote:

The only thing that was weird was the memory battery wasn’t in its little compartment under the LCD screen. Do those usually come installed?
No, those time/date batts usually do NOT come installed. A new one costs less than a buck.

They are obligated to replace only what you brought in, so the owner's manual, etc. is not part of the deal -- you have your original, right?

I agree with Pete, this was a mishandled situation, and hopefully it's a very rare occurance. You should not have had to pay $120 but at least you can put this episode behind you and get on with creating video. Thanks for the update,

Ash Greyson September 3rd, 2005 11:33 AM

UNFRICKING BELIEVABLE!!!!!! They charged you for a camera THEY LOST?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

Dont give up... their strong arm tactics caused you to have to accept the camera under duress. File a complaint with the BBB and the state Attorney general. I would also file a complaint with Canon corporate. And to anyone on Canon's side reading this thread, you are all spineless weenies with no accountability. Sad sad sad excuse not only for a business, but for human beings. PATHETIC!

ash =o)

Jay Gladwell September 3rd, 2005 12:27 PM

Tague, by all means, contact Canon USA and tell them exactly what happened and how badly you were treated. They owe you $120!

Jay

Barry Gribble September 3rd, 2005 12:31 PM

Yeah, I am amazed by all of this too.

"... and their technician needs to feed his family and they spent ALL this extra manpower trying to locate my camera."

This amazes me the most. That they would try, in the face of their own bold incompetence and dodging, to guilt you in to paying $240 for work they can't even show you is ridiculous. It is their responsibility to pay their employees, not yours. They lost your camera, and that is not the technicians fault. They have to pay him no matter what you do. I am astounded that they even said it.

And then to mention the extra manpower they spent looking for the camera, as if that had anything to do with you. Of course they had to spend the extra time looking for it, they lost it! And they want to charge that to you?

I am sympathetic to the fact that you were just happy to have a camera and be done with it, but you did let them off easy.

The fact is that if you did lose significant income because of this, you can still take legal action. Accepting the camera does not release them from blame for that. Depending on the numbers it may not be worth your hassle.

The upside is that you were expecting to pay $240 for a cleaned camera, and you paid $120 for a new one. But when the delay means money…. that doesn’t help much.

Eric Brown September 3rd, 2005 12:31 PM

Ash, if you ever become a lawyer and I need legal help, you're the first on my list. For real.

Richard Alvarez September 3rd, 2005 01:06 PM

A search for problems I had with my first XL2 and getting a replacement will reveal the problems I had with Irvine. After reading this thread, I am convinced that should my camera need repair I will send it to New Jersey, rather than Irvine, and I LIVE in California.

There is NO question that reporting the service level in a calm, mature and rational level on this board has a real time effect. I've seen it with me, and again with this thread. Just one of the values of this board, and the oversight that Chris lends to it.

Tague Hurley September 3rd, 2005 04:35 PM

Who wants more??

So...I'm very happy to see people siding with me on this one. I actually was guilted into thinking it was just bad luck and I shouldn’t put so much blame on them. Thanx Ash for the defense and all the other's that agree I didn't get what I deserve.

I would be pretty much back to normal now, aside from the bad taste in my mouth I will have for canon for some time. BUT BUT BUT. I decided to take the night off from videography yesterday and do something else. When I woke up this morning I decided it was time to start shooting. First thing I did with the aforementioned "NEW" camera was put the 8mb card in, Also USED, no big deal, and a new DV tape. I fired the baby up and threw her into manual everything looked good. I then flipped on the manual focus turned the focus ring and VOILA....nothing. The focus was locked but turning the ring did nothing! Is this some kind of joke? Has this ever happened on a brand new GL2? I’ve never heard of any problems with the focus ring, and even made sure to do a search here on the board.

Well I do have a 1-year warrantee, I could just take it back into them, or I can send it to New Jersey as Richard suggests, I had already thought of this early on dealing with the Irvine office. BUT since this comes in light of everything else that happened I feel that there is something else I should do. Before I contacted Canon I just wanted to get some advice from the trusty DVinfo community. First is there someway the focus ring is just locked, (the ring turns fine, just doesnt change the focus) am I just making a stupid cameraperson mistake, I doubt it. Has anybody else had a problem with their focus ring? And Finally am I the only one, or is this camera probably not "NEW"?

Beyond pissed off,

Tague

Chris Hurd September 3rd, 2005 04:54 PM

Tague, check the camera to be certain that you are not shooting in the "Green Box" (easy recording) mode. Focus is still auto, even when set to manual, when shooting in this mode.

Stephen Finton September 3rd, 2005 04:59 PM

Uh, maybe it's on autofocus? Or infinity?

Tague Hurley September 3rd, 2005 06:28 PM

I've tried MF on every setting on the camera. And when the "MF" is on the display, turning the ring does nothing. The focus locks at where it was with AF and doesnt change no matter how much I turn the ring.

??????

cheers

Graham Bernard September 4th, 2005 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Tague, check the camera to be certain that you are not shooting in the "Green Box" (easy recording) mode. Focus is still auto, even when set to manual, when shooting in this mode.

Chris, as far as I can tell, I can't select MF while in Easy Mode? Now if I COULD then there would be something wrong. In AUTO I can select MF, and lock-off the focus - very useful indeed! And in Manual Mode I can get my images out of focus at the drop of a hat! But easy mode? If Tague IS getting MF option in Easy mode .. . ughhh .. . take it back .. and seek some anger management course. After having been reading your thread here - I'm gonna need to. You poor bloke! I really feel for you. This is truly a very very unnatural experience with this camera and the after sales service.

What more can I say? I've got 2 of these puppies and I use them in a money earning environment PLUS ausaging my own need/passion to take video. The service I had recently got from Canon, here in the UK, was exlempary. Cold comfort for you, I know - but I can't complain. However, that is NO reason why shouldn't.

Take our advise and check and double check that you are in a MODE that allows for MF. PLease get back to us if you can or can't confirm this.

Best regards,

Grazie

Tague Hurley September 4th, 2005 01:15 AM

Graham, Chris, definately not in "easy mode". I've tried MF is auto, av, tv, manual, everything. I think somehow the ring is just not connected to the actual focus mechanism. Baffled. Nobody ever heard of a problem like this? Shall I plan to make a trip to Irvine on tuesday? I'll be borrowing a friends DVX100a luckily. thanx again for each and every comment.

Graham Bernard September 4th, 2005 01:21 AM

Do you see the "MF" icon letters apear within the screen? Yes/No?

G

Ash Greyson September 4th, 2005 03:01 AM

Wow man... it just gets worse. Obviously, the camera is not new, it is most likely refurbished. Tuesday morning file all the complaints I listed, make a copy and then go to the service center and give them copies. Ask politely for a $120 REFUND and a new camera, when they say no tell them, "well, I have spent all this time and manpower dealing with your incompetence and I have a family to feed. So I have no choice but to pursue this legally." I would also, not joking here, contact all the local news affiliates and tell them your story. Most have consumer advocacy pieces a couple days a week. NOBODY wants that kind of bad advertising.

Another step is to turn Canon corporate against them. You have all you need to do that. Basically you tell corporate that you are going to give THEM a chance to correct the mistake of their incompetent service center.

Dont give up, stay persistent, at some point it will be easier to settle with you FAIRLY than to put you off and continue to screw you.

ash =o)

Boyd Ostroff September 4th, 2005 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
So I have no choice but to pursue this legally."

Before you start talking about lawyers and such, you'd better read all the fine print on whatever repair authorization you signed. I'd be willing to bet that it promised very little in terms of their liability for lost cameras or how soon they are required to return your camera.

I'm guessing that you'll get farther by being firm but pleasant with them, frustrating though it may be. You have been treated outrageously, but what you are legally entitled to may be somewhat less than you'd hope for also.

Chris Colin Swanson September 4th, 2005 05:55 AM

When my XL1S lost focus it lost it's auto focus and manual focus. It would work as the camera started up (while all the info is still displayed in the viewfinder) and then froze out. I sent it in and they had to replace a circuit board.
This unfortunately is not the only relevence to your situation. It took over 60 days to recieve my camera! This is in the UK so my situation is different. At canon.co.uk they list several repair centers so I took it into the one closest to me and not the main center. They informed me I would have it in a week which is great here because they only promise with a month. After the week I called them to find out a part was on order and it was scheduled in another week. This happened several times and after the month they could only give me more empty promises. They advised me I could take back the camera and go someplace else with it and sall over. The warranty had expired in the meantime and I was afraid of the hassles of this and the part still needed ordering.
After arguing to get relevant numbers at Canon to call. Canon told me that I could only get a replacement if I had brought it to their central repair center even though they have this one officialy listed! They said that the repair center I brought it into would have to argue for the replacement because they were the official client and not me! The repair center with the camera said they would not argue because they didn't want to create bad feelings with the central repair center. Finally my wife, who did most of the calling because I could not be rational at this point, was given a number to a higher up manager. He did some investigating and found out the situation and worked on it.
In one week I had the camera delivered to my door with a new lens. They didn't contact me to tell me they were delivering it. They just called 10 minutes before they showed up on a thursday morning. Luckily I was home! In the end they lost my uv filter and lost 2 months of filming. I am an amature so I can't claim any lost work but I lost out on filming the maturing of the fox family living behind my house and prospective work and practice filming some local spoting events.
I was at least able to put it behind me. My month long depression and sickness cleared up and I chose to just buy a new uv filter instead of dealing with them anymore since my aversion to them was so high by then. They had told me I shouldn't feel so bad because another person was in the same situation waiting as long for the same thing!! Like that was suppose to make me feel better when it confirms the incompetence and not confirming my bad luck. I wonder if the other camera owner's camera is still there? The other owner might have all the patience in the world, the Brits 'stiff-upper-lip' will not help this situation and being a loud american was the only thing that worked. I just wished I had been loud from the begining (in an assertive way of course) and not tried to prevent contribution to the amercan sterotype.

Jay Gladwell September 4th, 2005 08:12 AM

Tague, when they gave you the NEW camera in a plastic bag, did it come with a warranty card? If not, what...?

First thing I'd do Tuesday is call Canon USA (not the 1-800 number) and talk with someone who has the ability to correct problems, explain the whole mess, and demand a new, working, in the box camera.

This has moved well beyond riduculous. It's outrageous!

Jay

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2005 09:52 AM

Tague, as you know the best way to see a focus change is when you have a very shallow depth of field... if you insure that you are operating in the A, Av, Tv or M program mode and that the MF icon appears in the display... step outdoors and point to something about a dozen yards away, then zoom all the way in to extreme telephoto... turning the focus ring does NOT change focus? The standby lever is NOT set to "Lock," is it? Because that will force it to autofocus.

Tague Hurley September 6th, 2005 10:43 AM

First I am a little hesitant to call in a lawyer yet. Doug did mention that they were not required to give me a replacement, and not required to give me another camera after only 2 weeks. He mentioned that in fact he had 30 more days to find the camera. But I believe he thinks the camera will not show up no matter how long they look. Anyways, I did get a piece of paper that said this camera has a year long warranty.

Yep chris I've tested the camera 1000 times and double checked everything. The focus ring just doesnt work. Today is Tuesday, the service center is open after the long weekend. Ill make a few calls to the corporate offices, I doubt that will get me anywhere. So chris if im sure the focus ring doesnt work, what do you thiknk I shall do?

thanx

Tague Hurley September 6th, 2005 11:04 AM

Spoke with the canon corporate complaint line. They said first I have to deal with Doug. Let's see how this goes...