Novice Compares GL2 and VX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 24th, 2002, 09:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Novice Compares GL2 and VX2000

If you are a novice and interested in how another novice is progressing in comparing GL2 and VX2000 I put the details in the VX2000/PD150 forum and too lazy to rewrite it all here ( and not computer literate enough to cut and paste here). Note, I have said "novice" many times to preclude too much criticism over methods-- am open to helpful comments.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2002, 09:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

More Data: Novice Compares GL2 and VX2000

Traveling two days this week but wanted to note I finally thought to look at data code readouts and found GL2 in low/dark light had iris wide open (was at iris of 1.?? forgot to write down) and gain boosting generally at 12 db to 18 db. VX2000 was generally at 2.6 iris with no gain. Camera "deciding" what to do in full auto mode. On my consumer level TV and to my untrained eye the GL2 boost was not an obvious problem in terms of picture quality but I would expect with better TV monitor and to trained eye this amount of boost would show some artifacts or grain vx VX2000.
BTW, one setting that was adjusted in outside shooting was ND filters switched in as prompted by camera when in full auto and VX2000 "asked for" ND filter a few times in outside shots.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2002, 12:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

High Contrast Advice

Warning--novice giving comments so please excuse shortcomings. The low light differences between GL2 and VX2000 not too surprising based on all the posts and articles I have read. However, the high contrast difference was surprising. Described more in my yesterday post in VX2000/PD150 forum, but basically on cloudy day sun broke through and highlighted in bright sun a yellow/orange building with surrounding area still in cloudy light. On more careful review of tapes, the GL2 color for highlighted building was noticeably more washed out than VX2000 which had building color accurately and more vividly displayed. Again, both cameras on full auto and possible the VX2000 had ND filter switched in and GL2 did not if that could make a difference (only setting the store owner changed was to switch in ND filters when prompted by camera). Since there was plenty of light available I am sure this difference between the two cameras could be handled by manual or other settings, but if I buy a GL2 it would be good to know how to handle these high contrast situations.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders