Video Editing Software For GL-2 Cameras - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Video Editing Software For GL-2 Cameras

Don, Good Afternoon,

I already have that book on order from Amazon. As a matter of fact, you mention the origin of the Canon GL2. To show where I am, I thought the camera was put on the market about 2009. Fact is, the GL-2 pre-dated 2009. It was not until I began to go back in some of the posts here that people were talking about purchasing this camera as far back as 2006. That means the mini-tape technology came along very early. I am sure this technology is not being produced anymore (WOW)! I've got lots to learn and rearing to go (smile). Thanks so much sir.

bob williams
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

The Mini-DV cassette tape was first introduced in 1995. Interestingly enough, Panasonic still carries a Mini-DV camcorder on their current product pages today, that being the venerable DVX100 "B" model at Panasonic AG-DVX100B Professional Camcorder -- and Panasonic had one of the very first Mini-DV camcorders ever, the AG-EZ1 (see http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...ic-ag-ez1.html)

Sony still shows current with a tape-based HDV camcorder (records High Definition to Mini-DV), the HDR-FX1000, on their consumer site and *several* HDV camcorders still showing current on their pro video product pages at Sony | Cameras - Broadcast & Production | HDV

It ain't gone yet... the Mini-DV cassette tape is entering its 18th year!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I still have my VX1000 circa 1995 or 96. For it's time, it was world class!
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

When the VX1000 initially came out, it made me take a long questioning look for the first time at the VX3 we had in our studio. I knew right then that we had to get with the program and graduate from Hi-8 on up to DV.

Old January 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Fact is, the GL-2 pre-dated 2009.
Would you believe that the GL2 came out in the summer of 2002. It replaced the GL1 that came out in 1999.

It has had a remarkably long product life (over 10 yers so far). Canon still lists the GL2 on their professional camcorder Web page at CanonDV.com.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Good Monday Afternoon Don,

Are you kidding?? I had no idea the Canon GL-2 was that old. Indeed, it has been around for a long time. And you say Canon still has this camera listed. I would assume that as long as the GL-2 is listed they will provide service if needed. Thanks for the update sir.

bob williams
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Indeed, service will be provided up to seven years past the EOL (end-of-life) date. And as long as it's listed as a current product, it's not EOL.

Old January 14th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hello Chris,

Thank you for the followup. This is good to know and I can pass this on to my pastor.

bob williams
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #24
New Boot

Mr Bob Williams, let me be the first to chip in and suggest a specific NLE that will likely fit your needs. I will try to simplify my answer in order to explain my suggestion. For reference, I am a video editor for many years now, currently using Final Cut Pro (employment) and Edius (at home), but have created several pieces in various software packages such as Vegas Video, Adobe Premiere, Edit Studio, and even Casablanca editing hardware.

The program in question is called Edit Studio 6, created by Mediachance and it runs under Windows.

You have mentioned that your camera shoots in a standard definition 4x3 square-ish or 16x9 wide but anamorphic (anamorphic being a wide image squeezed into a square image, that gets 'un-squeezed' upon playback or editing.

From what I recall when using version 5 several years back, Edit Studio is extremely user friendly, fast, and very stable (rather important when editing long pieces). In fact, it is still my favorite piece of software for video editing, and I would be using it if was available for High Definition material.

Yes, it only edits Standard definition video, but this is actually a good thing. Let me explain: There are a few freeware programs that I use, and many of them do not get updated anymore even when the creator of those applications continues to remain active with other projects. You see, it is my belief that once a program reaches maturity, there is more chances for itself to become bloated and slow when more updates and features are added.

Edit Studio does not get updated anymore, but that's because it is extremely good at doing one thing: editing standard definition video. Considering that your footage is either AVI or MOV with DV compression, even a 7 year old computer wouldn't have problems editing your material.

I'm not going into the features of the program since they can easily be found on their homepage, but I have focused on the items that I believe make this program something to consider for ease of use, stability, and price... $50 or so.

I hope that helps. Regards
Luis Valenzuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Good Monday afternoon Mr.Valenzuela,

Thank you sir for sharing this information with me. I have settled on "CyberLink PowerDirector Ultimate" as I move forward assisting my pastor and church. As stated before, my primary responsibility will be to process the video tape sermons via GL-2. The sermons all run about 50 to 55 minutes. There will be no splicing required usually. I should be able to move the videos from the camera to my computer for work using CyberLink PowerDirector Ultimate. Once that's complete I should have no problems moving the final work to the internet/church website. That's my thinking at least. We will have to see if the process goes as I have been told it should. Any additional suggestions and ideas using PowerDirector is welcomed.

bob williams
Old January 15th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #26
Wrangler

Bob:

Since many NLE's have been mentioned above, a thought. Find the end user discussion/support forums (both the developer's and third party) for any software you are considering. Scan the posts and responses going back a year or so to get a feel for both the software problems, developer support for resolution, and user-to-user support. View them in light of your planned usage. (You can learn a lot from the posts of others that goes beyond the specific questions asked.)

Based on the discussions in this forum, I think that you would be well served by having a product with a substantial user community that is active in the forums.
Old January 15th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Good Tuesday Morning Don,

To the best of my ability I've done just what you suggest here in your post. I have decided to go with CyberLink's PowerDirector 11. I believe this software package will do what I need and provide outstanding results for my pastor and my wife's real estate efforts. I am very excited and want to get started as quickly as possible. Of course I appreciate and continue to look for suggestions and help wherever I can get it. I can never know too much about this field. It is wide and expansive with all kinds of twists and turns. And I understand there is always new stuff to be learned. I've learned a great deal from great people right on this forum. What an exciting group of folk who take of their important time to assist me and others. I can never say "thank you" enough.

bob williams
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #28
Inner Circle

It might be a bit lare, but you could also check out Lightworks. Lightworks This is a NLE with a long history and seems to be on the way towards a revival with over 400,000 users registered on its web site.

There are two versions available, a free version with some limitations or the Pro version which handles a much wider range of Codecs and has other features. The latter works on an annual subscription basis.

Currently, it's Windows, but it's working towards being cross platform.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders