Lens cap and lens hood question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 27th, 2002, 04:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Lens cap and lens hood question

I have a question about my GL2, which I just got. For those of you who are using it, did you take the lens cap off permanently and replace it with the lens hood?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2002, 05:15 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

It's a good practice to continue using the lens cap. It fits on the lens even when the lens hood is attached. The lens cap insures protection of the glass when your camera is not in use. The lens hood simply prevents stray light from entering the lens and affords no glass protection whatsoever. I don't know anybody who doesn't use the lens cap. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2002, 06:30 PM   #3
Major Player

I also bought a UV filter for protection. Does the lens cap fit on over the filter? I've read some threads where folk describe leaving the filter on all the time. Do they put on the lens cap over the filter somehow?
Old November 27th, 2002, 08:24 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes, the lens cap fits onto filter such as your UV filter. Take our advice and use the lens cap.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2002, 08:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Ok, I just put on a B+W 58mm MC UVa Haze #010 filter. The lens cap doesn't look like it can go on without touching the filter. Am I doing something wrong? Did I get the wrong filter? Or do I need a different lens cap? Help!!!
Old November 27th, 2002, 11:05 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quote:
The lens cap doesn't look like it can go on without touching the filter...
Methinks thou doth overthink this nit. <g> It does clip onto the filter. I don't understand what problem you see.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2002, 12:36 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

If the filter ring itself isn't very deep, then the cap may not properly fit. If the cap doesn't snap onto the filter front, like it has nothing to grab onto, then we may need to work on a solution for you to try.

Old November 28th, 2002, 07:33 AM   #8
Major Player

I think the lens cap will fit. However, the lens cap has a plastic tab that looks like it will touch the filter lens. My concern is whether this will scratch the filter.
Old November 28th, 2002, 05:06 PM   #9
Trustee

Stephen, this is the same problem I had and I hate it. Still havent decided whether I remove the UV filter and put it on before shooting, or just leave the lens cap off. If I leave the cap on the filter for any length of time I'll find marks on it that I must clean off and I'm not happy about that. Don't wanna scratch it. Such is life me thinks.
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2002, 05:14 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Here's the solution I was thinking of. I wonder if there's such a thing as a threaded 58mm filter ring without a filter in it... just the ring. Screw it on, on top of the UV filter. Now when you snap the lens cap on, it'll be raised off the surface of the UV filter. Hope that's a clear explanation.

Old November 28th, 2002, 08:37 PM   #11
Warden

The cheapest way would be to buy a cheap 58mm UV Quantaray (Ritz Camera house brand) filter and break out the glass portion. There are 58mm to 58mm adapters for reverse mounting lenses for macro purposes. However, the limited demand for reverse mounting adapters make them more expensive than a cheap 58mm UV.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2002, 06:37 AM   #12
Major Player

Stephen, I had the same problem with a Sony TRV510 lens cap that contacted the surface of the filter. I fixed it by removing the offending protrusion from the cap. In my case, it served no purpose and was easily removed. If that won't work in your situation, you might be able to trim it a bit so that it does not contract the filter.
Old November 29th, 2002, 02:01 PM   #13
Major Player

I went to Ritz, picked up a cheap UV filter, and knocked out the glass. Put it on top of the B+W filter, and then put them them on the camcorder. The lens cap fits on just fine now!!!
Old November 29th, 2002, 03:21 PM   #14
Trustee

Stephen, the cheapo one you used as a stepper, did you buy a slim or regular one? Either way, do you experience vignetting in the image at all now?

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2002, 04:33 PM   #15
Major Player

I used a regular one. Haven't tried any videotaping yet.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders