saving for the GL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 5th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #16
New Boot

Gl2 For Sale

I have a GL2 for sale. Bought new last year. Used about 8 times. I bought an XL2 and was going to keep it for dual camera shoots, but I never seem to have anybody to shoot with. Have the box and everything that came with it.
First $1500. takes it! Alan
Alan Daoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #17
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno Perez
Yea that's another thing, I'm also an automotive enthusiast. I'd like to use the camera to record runs at the local dragstrip but the track has very limited lighting. Wouldn't the vx2100 better suffice?
Yes, allthough "very limited lighting" is subjective. But when the light starts to dim to the level of a 12x12 room lit with a 60 watt bulb, the GL2 is good, but the VX2100 is better.
Old October 9th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #18
Tourist

Gl 2 Camera

I use two GL 2 camera's for unobtrusive use like weddings and other events that require portability. Lightweight and small. A lot of bang for the price.
Mal. Stevens
Los Angeles, CA
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #19
New Boot

Hello,
Ive been using a GL2 pretty much since it got on the shelf, I only really shoot skateboarding and music videos, and for that its been really good to me untill the last month as it literaly fell apart. The remains are actualy in the buy and sell forum.

heres a link to the last video i made with it, its super compressed but just to give you an idea.

http://www.skateaz.com/users/price/video/tc4num5.wmv

If I could do it all over again, I would go with a VX2000 for the low light and pretty much the fact that most of my firends and people I work with use a Sony and the footage would be easier to cut with. The GL2 is amazing for sure, but little things stuck out like a sore thumb, my zoom rocker totaly went out twice, the OIS went nuts, and the internal speaker went out.

As DJ Kinney said, you can pretty much get away with any camera if the content works, The newest Baker video was shot with a 6 year old Trv900 with a scrached lens, is the same style as a video from the late 80's and still my local shop sold a 60 copies in the 1st weekend it came out, give or take that in every city around the world.

With that, if your going to use the camera all around for a long time, best bet is a VX2100 just for the sake of the better low light, It comes into play alot more then you would think. Best bang for the buck and getting what you pay for come into play here. Even being a canon lover, the VX2100 to me is better all around camera, but if its a few hundred dollars better, thats up to you.
Andrew Almendarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #20
Tourist

Nice Video

Thank you for the reply. I viewed your video this AM and was impressed with the content and your camera work. What system did you edit the tapes with?
Also, did you use the wide angle Canon Lens?
Sorry to hear your GL 2 fell apart on you. I certainly would let Canon know about that. Again thank you for the oportunity to view your video and the reply.
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #21
New Boot

Thanks for the good words. I used the century optics .3x fisheye and just the standard lens only. I use Premiere pro 1.51 to lay it all out and After effects for the slow motion.
I can't blame Canon for the falling apart, I did drag it around the world and its had its share of drops, hits, and bad weather. I am acutaly happy with how long it did last, other then the little problems I metioned. Though it feels plasticly, it holds up well.
Andrew Almendarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders