Embarasingly stupid question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 28th, 2002, 10:26 AM   #1
Elephant

Embarasingly stupid question...

I have a GL2 (actually a XM2) and so far it has been a great little cam.

On the cassette door -- the outer one -- does anyones else's shut and then move back and forth ever so slightly against the plastic? I am wondering if this is a manufacturing tolerance or i have a slightly dodgy one...
Old November 28th, 2002, 10:48 AM   #2
Wrangler

I have only used a GL-2 twice. My advice is close the inner deck first and waitfor the tape to load before closing the outer door.

Happy Thanksgiving,

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2002, 03:13 PM   #3
Outer Circle

If you force this, it's going to break. Always refer with your operating manual for basic operating instructions with any new cam.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2002, 03:31 PM   #4
Elephant

Thanks but...

I have done NO forcing. I know how to shut that door. I am simply refering to after the doors have shut. THEN there is a slight movement which occurs if you push on the outer door slightly.

This may in no way be an issue -- just would like to confirm that this 'rattle' (if you can call it that) is 'normal' with the cam.

The door simply taps - moves about a milimetre (if that) against the door frame. You can see it...
Old November 28th, 2002, 04:39 PM   #5
Outer Circle

I didn't say you did do this, but for the sake of other readers who are about to buy their 1st cam, it's just a warning. Not all cams work exactly the same with the tape mechanism. With my MX300, you open the door and nothing happens. When you open the door, you have to open it more until you hear a "click," then the tape mechanism ejects. With other cams, as soon as you open the door a little bit, the tape mechanism comes out and hits the door! So with these (usually older) cams, you have to be careful---when you open the door, you have to open it right up (wide open). This is a problem because with many consumer cams the palm strap has to be first moved out of the way, so the door is opened wide right away and the tape housing doesn't hit the tape door.

So with your cam, it works like the MX300 door. You have to open it a little further for the tape thingy to activate. I doubt, then, that there's anything wrong with your cam. That's the way it works---a safety feature.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2002, 04:59 PM   #6
Trustee

I think elephant means that his door jiggles a bit when closed. I'll check my Xm2 tonight and see if it does the same.
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2002, 05:15 PM   #7
Elephant

Yes -- jiggle -- that is exactly what i mean!

If you could check that would be great...
Old November 28th, 2002, 08:32 PM   #8
Warden

A small amount of play is normal and within the manufactures specifications.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2002, 11:35 PM   #9
Trustee

I wouldn't worry about it. After closing my door, if I push it right in a little more and out again, it moves about 2 mm. I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2002, 03:14 AM   #10
Elephant

Thanks Aaron

Okay -- mind at rest.

Very good of you all...

Cheers.
Old November 29th, 2002, 07:29 AM   #11
Major Player

Opening the cassette door of the GL1 exposes a button which has to be pushed in order to eject the cassette. The GL2 has no such button. One day I regrettably opened the door of the GL2 and closed it immediately without thinking. There was a noise of the cassette trying to eject inside the closed door and then the GL2 would not eject even after opening the door. I think I also smelled a frying electric motor, but it may have been my panicked imagination. I thought I broke it till I removed and re-installed the battery. I breathed a sigh of relief when it worked and vowed never to do that again....
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders