tips on buying gl2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 6th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Tourist

tips on buying gl2?

i'm new to this forum and am looking to buy a gl2 (my first camera), so i hope this subject hasn't been exhausted to death. i know some questions to ask when dealing with sellers, such as how many hours have been logged, has it ever been serviced, has it been used as a deck, and have they ever had any problems with it (obviously). but is there anything specific to the gl2's idiosyncracies that i should look out for, especially if i check out the camera in person? also, is it completely unreasonable to take a tape with me and get a few seconds of footage to make sure all is well? AND, what accessories are vital to get from the owner (i.e., do i really need the original software that originally came with it?). sorry if these questions are basic...am quickly trying to educate myself! thanks!
Sara Clinehens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Sara Clinehens]i'm new to this forum and am looking to buy a gl2 (my first camera),.QUOTE]

The most imporatant things I know to look for in spending money on any camera that is not a K-Mart disposable is;

1. Warranty. I'm not spending more than my lunch money on a camera that doesn't come with a warranty. Cameras have so many wonderful little parts that like to break, one little part can cost you hunderds of dollars. I'm not a gambler with my money, so I don't buy big stuff used.

2. Which brings me my second piece of advice. I'd buy new if I could, with a good warranty. At least if you buy new, you can curse legitimately at Canon. And Canon won't be able to give you the 'Well son, it IS a used camera' speech.

I have GL2 and bought it new. I love mine.

God speed.

Steven Davis
Old October 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #3
Tourist

any more advice?

thanks, steven, for the input. what are other people's experiences with buying a used one with no warranty?
Sara Clinehens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

If buying a used cam, consider sending it in to Canon Service for a cleaning and a checkup. It'll come back to you in "like new" condition. Expect to pay around $200 to $250 for this service, and it's worth every penney.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 12:15 AM   #5
New Boot

I think the question to ask is "how much?". You can get a new one for around $1700-$1800 if you look in the right place (authorized dealer with warranty).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders