Rain Covers for GL-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 24th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Rain Covers for GL-2

Any recommendations on good rain covers for the GL-2? Are there any in the <$100 range that work well to protect the camera while still allowing access to controls?
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

PortaBrace makes good rain covers.
www.portabrace.com

The one for the GL2 is called RS-GL2, with MSRP $169.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've used the PortaBrace cover in a steady downpour for several hours. The camera stayed nice and dry, no head clogs or other similar problems due to moisture.
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Kata rain cover

I purchased a kata rain cover for my gl2 and it is adequate and costs around 60 dollars, they have them at B&H.

gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
I purchased a kata rain cover for my gl2 and it is adequate and costs around 60 dollars, they have them at B&H.

gus
Dale,
"Adequate" sounds like a less than stellar endorsement - what are your concerns?
Old October 25th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

concerns

If I were to be picky, the case is perhaps a little tight for my hands to work under,
I shoot with a shoulder rest and a hand on the lens barrell a lot and I use a remote on the handle. problem is how do I protect the monfrotto remote. Guess i find using it kind of awkward. I do not have the opportunity to try others!!

I am not totally confident in the ties that pull it around the lens shroud and the view finder.

I have not used it in heavy rain. I ruined my last cam with water so i am pretty careful about the water issue.

It works fine in damp conditions and more than adequate for dust or sand.

To be fair, I have not given it a tuff test. How do i do that with out risk to my lovely camera!!

gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

i no this is stupid but i find 2 plastic bags do for one time use. but we only use them in light rain
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #8
Major Player

I am currently using the plastic bag method with a rubberband securing the hole around the lens and another for the hole for the EVF. I also fashioned a lens hood extension out of black cinefoil to provide a bit more cover over the glass. I'd like to look a bit more professional!

Has anyone tried the Petrol PRC-DV Camera Rain Cover? From our friends at B&H - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

For $85 it looks pretty good, but before ordering, I'd like to hear some reactions.
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I used the kata for 3 months in Alaska. Two months of that was in southeast Alaska where they average 150 inches of water a year. Never had a problem, but I was as careful as I could be. The most that ever got inside was a couple minute drops of water on top of the handle. That was with hours of down pour. If it got really bad and I wasn't shooting I just put a garbage bag over the kata and tripod. The way I protected my mikes and lens controller was to put condoms on them and tape the ends. Good Luck
Rob Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:47 AM   #10
Major Player

Lubricated or non? ;-)

Thanks for the input - B&H here I come!
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders