Rain cover and cold protection cover for XM2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 9th, 2002, 02:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rain cover and cold protection cover for XM2?

Hi,

I was wondering which options are available to protect your camera by using a rain or cold protection cover for XM2? Who has one and what are your experiences with it?

Thanks,
Dirk
Dirk Goris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2002, 04:34 AM   #2
Old Boot

Yes - I'd be interested in this. As you've got an XM2 (ditto me!) You must be at least Europe based? Or even UK? There are several suppliers - but like you I'm wanting some "true" real-life rain weather experience with a "known" protector. In my wishes it would be the experience of "getting" to the controls; shotgun mic cover; lens front coverage etc etc....

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2002, 07:00 AM   #3
New Boot

Since the XM1 is like the GL-1, you should look at the Camkote. They are a custom fit for the different camera models. I can't tell you how well they are in cold weather (I haven't shot much in the cold weather), but they are great in the rain.

Go to www.camkote.com for more information about them.

Charles.
Charles Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2002, 08:47 AM   #4
Major Player

I use an EWA raincoat for my cameras. Basically a heavy plastic bag with a glass disc to shoot through. What I like about it is that it is open at the bottom which avoids condensation issues while still being entirely watertight. I have been ht by green water over the bow of a saiboat while shooting and the camera stayed dry.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2002, 09:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

link to the ewa-marine protection bags.
http://www.ewa-marine.de/English/e-start.htm
Dirk Goris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 03:39 PM   #6
Lee Evans

A company called Holdan in the uk do nice snugg fitting cover for constant protection ive had on on mine since i bought it and used it in the sea shoreline Filming surfing for two years and never ever had anyprobs with dust sand or moisture.Its not a full rain cover but will protect from a little rain for a short period.A must for those who love there XM1/GL1.
Old December 22nd, 2002, 07:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

GL2/XM2 Raincoat

Canon US markets one by Kata. It's reasonably priced at $89-$129 depending where you get it. I got mine locally, and thanks to a great relationship at my Canon dealer it was at the lower end of the price range. It's pretty decent for the money. It's a nice fit and allows veiwing the LCD and controls through plastic windows, and it has a Velcro closure at the bottom to seal it up from below. I have used mine in a fine rain mist and on the gulf coast in blowing sand and salt spray. I haven't had it for that long, so as of yet don't know how it will stand the test of time. It surely beats the tar out of a plastic bag when you get caught un-prepared (we never really do that thought do we?)
Check it out here: http://www.canondv.com/gl2/a_carrying_cases.html

Look on eBay, DVInfo.Net Sponsors like ZGC, or places like B&H etc..

Mark

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders