GL2 - Capturing Stills from dv Tape - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 2nd, 2003, 12:30 AM   #16
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka :
I think Canon ought to just give you a free digital Elph with every GL2 and XL1s. It's a good camera and probably wouldn't cost Canon a fortune if done for a limited time. <g> -->>>

This is the best idea yet, and Kata & Portabrace could make a nice small expanding pocket on the OUTSIDE of the bag to hold one...

Canon are you listening?
M.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 09:34 AM   #17
Tourist

The 20x optical zoom is great for digital stills....used in powerpoint. This is becoming the main use of my GL2. I am so disappointed in its video ability in low light.
Don Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 06:43 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hey Guys,

As an owner of both the XL1 and the GL1, I also posses "my first Mini DV" - the Sony trv17.

What I've noticed is the still shot mode in the trv17 and the Gl1 is exactly what a previous poster referred to as "keeping up with the Jones's".

This feature is there for simply one reason: to appease those with less than perfect expectations.

As an owner of an ad agency, I can't tell you how many times folks are amazed at their own "photographic" talent and send me shots that look like they were taken with a Fisher Price plastic cam. This community bulletin board represents about 5% (maybe) of the market that Canon is aiming at with the GL1. (Not true with the XL1, but that's a higher model and for higher uses.)

The other 95% of the market Canon is aiming at for the GL1 simply consists of those that want a camera that looks "cool" and will get the softball, t-ball and birthday events on film.

Quality is a mixture of taste, experience and expectations. With a global market of consumers willing to accept the feature rather than the function, why would Canon need to provide anything more that what the GL1 offers already?

That's my $.02.

Cheers!
-Cary Weston
www.cmweston.com
Cary Weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Obviously the GL2's still pictures do not come close to a dedicated digital camera. However, I think there are some benefits:

- 20X zoom, not many digital cameras have that strength of optical zoom
- filter attachments. Certainly the Fujifilm Finepix 6800Zoom I own (and love) doesn't have the ability to attach any filters
- if you are shooting a wildlife scene (which is primarily what I am interested in) the still you may want might be the one you are framing with your GL2. It's nice to be able to capture that without having to dig out the stills camera, get it set up, and take the picture, by which time the subject may have moved/gone.

I will rarely, maybe even never, take a picture with the GL2 but it is quite nice to know I can if I need to. Incidentally, I think there are some stills in the gallery section of this site taken with a GL2 which look quite reasonable.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/images/images.php

" Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx
Lloyd Roseblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:32 PM   #20
Major Player

I happen to like the GL2's ability in low light. It's really not as bad as you think.

I mean sure it could be better in auto mode, but if you're actually making a movie and you control the lighting and keep gain at 0, the blacks look great. I'm not a fan of static/noise.

I shot outside in full moonlight, no Gain, with 1 halogen light streaming down onto my friend's backyard and that's all it needed for me to see what I needed. The light is not expensive at all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders