Use title mix + record overlay = footage w/TC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Trustee

Use title mix + record overlay = footage w/TC

Thought I'd mention:

I was reading the other thread here about using the Title Mix function get black 16:9 bars overlayed into the footage, when i was thinking about using all the unused, "blacked-out" space. What if one could record the timecode overtop the black bar at the top? This is what I did:

I took the 16:9 frame and moved it downward so the bottom bar was gone, then filled in the top. This way, the GL2's built-in TC display was overtop the top black bar completely. Then, I turned on Character Record, which records whatever the LCD is displaying directly onto the tape. I hit the Display/Datacode button until all I got was the timecode and record status, and--voila!--recorded timecode in my footage. Now, when I'm editing, I can have the timecode, plus whatever other information I want (I can create title cards for whatever scene I'm shooting). Editing has never been easier! No more searching through footage (which, yes, could be avoided anyway with a clipboard writing down timecodes onset). Anyway, thought I'd mention it, since it seemed like a helpful option.
Old November 24th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Wow, what a great tip, Ben! Many thanks for sharing this,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What a great idea! That will save alot of people ALOT of time... including me!

Thanx,

Tustin Larson
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Thought I'd mention:

I was reading the other thread here about using the Title Mix function get black 16:9 bars overlayed into the footage, when i was thinking about using all the unused, "blacked-out" space. What if one could record the timecode overtop the black bar at the top? This is what I did:

I took the 16:9 frame and moved it downward so the bottom bar was gone, then filled in the top. This way, the GL2's built-in TC display was overtop the top black bar completely. Then, I turned on Character Record, which records whatever the LCD is displaying directly onto the tape. I hit the Display/Datacode button until all I got was the timecode and record status, and--voila!--recorded timecode in my footage. Now, when I'm editing, I can have the timecode, plus whatever other information I want (I can create title cards for whatever scene I'm shooting). Editing has never been easier! No more searching through footage (which, yes, could be avoided anyway with a clipboard writing down timecodes onset). Anyway, thought I'd mention it, since it seemed like a helpful option.

Can't wait to try this one out!
Old December 15th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

could you post a frame

Hi...could you upload the overlay frame that you made?....I'm a new user and don't have much knowledge regarding creating the overlay....
BTW...I've been using the 16:9 overlay that someone else had uploaded and find it works great....I can make videos that will be "letter-boxed" on normal sets and when I show it on my 16:9 set, I can zoom to hide the bars and stretch the viewable portion accordingly....
I found that I was told that the GL2 uses the whole vertical height when recording in 16:9 mode but I notice that there is a portion of the bottom of the image that is indeed cut off....so it seems like in fact it DOES cut off some of the lines of resolution anyway so I feel it's better to shoot in normal mode with bars....for the reasons stated above...
Len
Len Imbery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders