Audio noise when using AC adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Audio noise when using AC adapter

Anyone experience significant AC hum when using the AC adapter instead of a battery on your GL2? I was using it to record some track with a Rode K2 mic though a XLR adapter. Tried the ground lift switch on the adapter and it was MUCH worse. Just my camera/setup or???
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM   #2
New Boot

Hi,

I noticed similar problem with my GL1. If it is powered via AC adapter, hum appears in sound if a person holds the mic ih his/her hand. If mic is mounted on boom or placed on table, there is no audio noise. But as soon as one directly touches the mic, hum appears. I tested with two different mics, an "el cheapo" Sony and an AT ATR55 Shotgun mic. However, these are not XLR mics.
Ales Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ales Marlin
Hi,

I noticed similar problem with my GL1. If it is powered via AC adapter, hum appears in sound if a person holds the mic ih his/her hand. If mic is mounted on boom or placed on table, there is no audio noise. But as soon as one directly touches the mic, hum appears. I tested with two different mics, an "el cheapo" Sony and an AT ATR55 Shotgun mic. However, these are not XLR mics.
From what I understand all 60cycle hum is produced when a "ground loop" is created.
I just got a new sound board, new mikes, xlr balanced cabels AND 10 gauge extstension cords, three prong MOULDED plugs, am carefull not to have mike cables cross, run paralell or loop which causes more problems. THUS I got really clean sound NO with no hum. Now if I eventually do get a hum, I will get a seperate battery, the big ones one uses for storm outages etc, that will last 8 or more hours.
Upgrading to balanced xlrs, 10 gage extensions seem to solve the problem.
Tom
Miami, Florida
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Tom,

Agree, I've found and isolated ground loops in the past as well as hum from mic cables laying over 120VAC cords. In this case, all the cables were kept away from each other ( and I tryed moving them closer to see if it increased the noise. No effect). I used the ground/lift switch on both the xlr adapter and the mic pre in all possible configurations. Anything but ground on both made it worse. Also made sure the mic pre and the GL2 AC adpater were plugged into the same circuit. Guess I'll just stick with the battery.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Wilson
Tom,

Agree, I've found and isolated ground loops in the past as well as hum from mic cables laying over 120VAC cords. In this case, all the cables were kept away from each other ( and I tryed moving them closer to see if it increased the noise. No effect). I used the ground/lift switch on both the xlr adapter and the mic pre in all possible configurations. Anything but ground on both made it worse. Also made sure the mic pre and the GL2 AC adpater were plugged into the same circuit. Guess I'll just stick with the battery.
60 cycle hum can be the result of a ground loop or by induction (cables close together, poor shielding). However Rob you might also have a faulty AC adaptor with an open capacitor so you're not getting as pure DC as you should. If you have the opportunity to try another adaptor, do so. All the other steps you've taken should have eliminated the hum if it was ground loop or induction. The only thing left is poor filtering of the power supply.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

100% battery AND/OR shielded cables both in mikes and power. Much more expensive, but not as expensive as a reshoot or lost clients. Notice just how thick the power cables and support cables are used by any of the national broadcasting companies and film companies use when they are on location?? Some are as big around as your wrist!!
My new board (Soundcraft 8), shielded mike xlr cables and new mikes, and new 10 gauge power cable cost me about $1200 USD, but it sure was worth it.
Tom
Miami, Florida
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders